pro-164 weather alert question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I turn on SAME weather alert while in active scan mode. Standby works fine(alert sounds) but not getting alerts while scanning. Please help

kcoleman

How do I turn on SAME weather alert while in active scan mode. Standby works fine(alert sounds) but not getting alerts while scanning. Please help

Shane unfortunately you cannot doe this. You can set one of the WX frequencies as a PRIority channel, however, doing this will not use the FIPS codes you've entered and with the scanner in priority mode, any active comms that you are listening to will be interrupted briefly as the scanner checks for activity on any set priority channels.

Good Luck & Good Listening,
Keith

pro 164 weather alert question

So you are saying the weather alert will not broadcast unless it is in standby? (I also don't mean the regular weather report but rather the actual alarm) What does the PRIwx (weather prority channel) do that is different than the standby mode? Sorry to be a pain but thanks.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 or PSR-300

From the manual:
If you program a weather channel as the Priority channel, your scanner can detect the 1050 Hz weather alert tone. All alerts are received (FIPS settings are ignored), and the scanner stays on the Priority channel only if the scanner detects a weather alert.

So you are saying the weather alert will not broadcast unless it is in standby?
LOL. The weather alert will be broadcast if you have the scanner off. But if you want to hear the alert, you will need to leave the scanner in PRIwx mode.

tipster67

So you are saying the weather alert will not broadcast unless it is in standby? (I also don't mean the regular weather report but rather the actual alarm) What does the PRIwx (weather prority channel) do that is different than the standby mode? Sorry to be a pain but thanks.

It says your location is Wichita, Ks.. If this is correct, your wx channel would be 162.550. In stand-by mode only the county you have programmed will alert (ie 020173 is Sedgwick Co.). Now if you have PRIwx on, it will alert anytime it "hears" the alert tone. This would mean that you will get all alerts from Butler, Cowley, northeast Harper, Harvey, eastern Kingman, eastern Reno, Sedgwick, Sumner. Those are all covered by that channel... Real pain in the @$$ during bad storms, but also can serve at a early warning. Hope this helps out.

If ya need any help, just pm me.... I'm also here in Wichita.

NBPTFF8

doesn't sound like they really thought this one threw when they programmed it :-(

It says your location is Wichita, Ks.. If this is correct, your wx channel would be 162.550. In stand-by mode only the county you have programmed will alert (ie 020173 is Sedgwick Co.). Now if you have PRIwx on, it will alert anytime it "hears" the alert tone. This would mean that you will get all alerts from Butler, Cowley, northeast Harper, Harvey, eastern Kingman, eastern Reno, Sedgwick, Sumner. Those are all covered by that channel... Real pain in the @$$ during bad storms, but also can serve at a early warning. Hope this helps out.

If ya need any help, just pm me.... I'm also here in Wichita.

NBPTFF8

the Scanner manufacturer. one would think you should be able to have the FIPS warnings during normal scanning would be more useful :-(

Last edited:

mikey60

It might be more useful, but without a second receiver in the radio it's not realistic to be able to monitor for FIPS/SAME at the same time.

Typically, the progression on warnings are:

SAME Date X3
1050 Hz tone for 8 seconds
Voice announcement for the alert

The SAME data would be very easy to miss on a priority check since each burst of data usually only lasts a couple seconds at the most. The tone is easy to catch with a 6 second check of the frequency.

Too bad they didn't put the 1050 Hz tone first, and then the SAME data. Then the scanner could check for the tone, and if heard, stand by for the SAME data and alert accordingly...

Mike

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
the Scanner manufacturer.

As Mikey mentioned, it was the fault of the NWS for doing it the way they did. Some TV stations used to take the NOAA Weather Radio audio directly and they didn't want the SAME tones in the loop. It's obviously not done by anything but the cheapest cable operator anymore, but the NWS is not interested in changing the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.