Pro-164 WX Button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
New out of the box, the channel programmed on my 164 WX button hits the strongest station but the voice is weak and garbled. I've tried to change the channel by pushing the WX button several times but it always reverts to the set channel. All my other radios receive this channel loud and clear and when I programmed it into the 164 it also is loud and clear...on FM. When the mode is changed to AM it sounds just like on the WX button. I can't figure out how to change the mode on the programmed WX button.
I tried it through software too.
Can't find any reference in the book or on Easy to read docs. Also tried a local search, no joy.

Thanks, Ron

KB1UAM

from what i can tell you should be on 162.550. also make sure the ATT button isn't on, how to tell if its on or not there should be an "A" on the top line of the scanner, also be sure to have the "G" turned off. to do that press the "func button" then the ATT button right after. hope that helps, let me know if that fixes the problem. if it still comes in static try 162.525

n3vbj

pro 164 weather

Be sure if your using the Butel or win 97 software the weather setting section none of the weather frequencies is checked for attenuation as well and the mode is set auto or FM or WFM and make a differance.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
from what i can tell you should be on 162.550.
Correct from the start.
also make sure the ATT button isn't on, how to tell if its on or not there should be an "A" on the top line of the scanner, also be sure to have the "G" turned off. to do that press the "func button" then the ATT button right after.
Already tried all that.
hope that helps, let me know if that fixes the problem. if it still comes in static try 162.525
Thanks for the reply, I can receive about 4 of the broadcasts here with 162.550 the best and it dominates the search when pressing the WX button. My feeling is that the mode is wrong, AM instead of FM and I can't find a way to correct it.
Maybe I should try a reset but then would reloading just introduce the problem again? I have tried changing the WX in software but no success.

Thanks, Ron

KB1UAM

oh i can hellp you with that just press the mode button until FM pops up!!! also try lowering the squelch so you can actually switch between channels

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Be sure if your using the Butel or win 97 software the weather setting section none of the weather frequencies is checked for attenuation as well and the mode is set auto or FM or WFM and make a differance.
Rechecked, both are correct on all accounts.
Plug in a WX frequency on your radio and use AM mode. That's what I get with my WX button.
When I bought this scanner I unboxed it in the car and powered it up. The first thing that I did was press the WX button and was greeted with the low volume and distortion. So I plugged in a vhf conv frequency which came in loud and clear. I thought that I could fix the WX later, well later is here and I haven't had any success.

Also, back to the software I've tried PSEdit300 and ARC300, changed the WX freqs several times but after uploading, the button freq is still the same. I know that the 164 scans for the best freq but why can't I get it to change the mode? That's all I want to know at this point.
What's bad is that I really don't care about the WX on this scanner, I have 10 other radios all w/WX plus my Iphone, TV....
It's just that it doesn't work as it should and that bugs me.

Thanks, Ron

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
oh i can hellp you with that just press the mode button until FM pops up!!! also try lowering the squelch so you can actually switch between channels
Nope, Already tried both those ideas. Something else is going on. The squelch has no effect on the audio while the WX is active. I can move through the other freqs by pressing the WX button but as soon as I release the button it goes right back to 162.550. If I hold the WX button it will go to the last 3 channels as per instructions.

New question, is there a way to turn off the WX scan?

KB1UAM

Nope, Already tried both those ideas. Something else is going on. The squelch has no effect on the audio while the WX is active. I can move through the other freqs by pressing the WX button but as soon as I release the button it goes right back to 162.550. If I hold the WX button it will go to the last 3 channels as per instructions.

New question, is there a way to turn off the WX scan?

Yes I believe you fan pressthe pause button. I think there is a pause button???

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Yes I believe you fan pressthe pause button. I think there is a pause button???
Yes there is a PSE button and no that does nothing but beep while in WX mode.

For what it's worth I see that there was an upgrade for a WX problem on the Pro-163 that did not include the Pro-164. For some reason I failed to read all the details earlier and now will have to refind the info.

Ok, since I forgot to post this an hour ago I had time to confirm that an upgrade is available for both models.
It was post on March 2, 2012 but there is no information what it is or why. Anyone know?

Thanks, Ron

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
We have a winner!!!!!

The new firmware update version 1.10 fixes the problem!
The WX button now brings in the wx broadcast loud and clear!!!
Maybe I should announce this in a new thread....

Thanks everyone,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.