Pro-164 Yes or No.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Happy Holidays Everyone!
I am in the market for another portable analog scanner. I have a Pro-162 as my work horse. It pretty much goes everywhere I go. Now, as much as l like this radio, it is not without a few flaws. ( what radio isn't right?) Anyway, I see that the Pro-164 has the few things that my 162 is missing.
(IE..correct 7.5 Khz. tunning step, signal meter, backlight on lock ability, just to name a few.) I already have WIN97's latest version for my Pro-163 so software and programing would not be an issue. My question to those of you who have extensive experience with this radio is, is it worth it? I mean under normal wear does the radio live up to it's features and /or hold up well? How well does it do in a tough RF environment? I saw reviews on the RS website but you never know what is real or not on there. I'd rather hear from you all on here. Again, digital is NOT an issue. Strictly analog here.....

Manny

Last edited:

Mdfenley

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164

I just ordered the pro-164 from Radio Shack.com a week ago. I selected two day shipping and got it in one day. Pretty darn quick during this time of the year. I have been very pleased with it. Programming it is fairly easy. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to do the text labeling of the channels, but once you figure it out, it is actually straight forward. My Previous scanner was a uniden bearcat sc-150. I like the pro-164 so far. I am going to be getting some ni-cad batteries and a charger for it this next week. Hope this helps.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes

I have the PSR-300, which is the GRE branded version of the PRO-164. I love it as it has some improvements over the PRO-97 which it replaces.

I use the PSR-300 as a workhorse when traveling or for conventional scanning when at home. I use other scanners for trunk tracking because I have them, but will eventually have to replace them with PSR-300s or better after rebanding.

One thing I found interesting is that the PSR-300 (or '164) can't be programmed with the COM verson serial cable. You'll need the USB version or make your own like I did.

I find the '300 has a better "feel" to it, especially the buttons. It seems to reject intermod better and is more sensitive than the '97 in the 800 MHz band.

Mdfenley

Premium Subscriber
One thing I found interesting is that the PSR-300 (or '164) can't be programmed with the COM verson serial cable. You'll need the USB version or make your own like I did.

Where did you find the directions on how to make the cable? I would like to do that.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Where did you find the directions on how to make the cable? I would like to do that.
Here is an entire thread on the topic. It turned out to be tricky for me because I wanted a cable that would work on all scanners I have from a COM port. If all you have is USB, then you need a USB to COM converter. I drew a schematic but don't have it electronically to share.

N1BHH

I just ordered the pro-164 from Radio Shack.com a week ago. I selected two day shipping and got it in one day. Pretty darn quick during this time of the year. I have been very pleased with it. Programming it is fairly easy. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to do the text labeling of the channels, but once you figure it out, it is actually straight forward. My Previous scanner was a uniden bearcat sc-150. I like the pro-164 so far. I am going to be getting some ni-cad batteries and a charger for it this next week. Hope this helps.

You did the right thing. My Pro-164 is a decent radio. It is always best to learn the functionality of the radio, so that you can program on the fly, then get Win97 so you'll be able to load the radio fully and be able to make changes while at home, or with a laptop. Once you get to know the radio, you'll be able to do stuff with it while asleep. ;)

There are many other threads on the 164 right here, so go through them when you have a chance, so that you can learn from others about the various issues that pop up from time to time. Some of those are really not major issues, but mostly not understanding the functions for the most part.

The radio is really much simpler than people are aware of, such as when you want to input the talk groups. In that case I don't even bother, I leave them open and let the scanner hear what's on the system, because all the talk groups in a trunk system are not in use, in fact only a few actually do get regular use, while many are unused most of the time. Once talk groups are active, you just hit the Trunk key to save them and later you can go in and put a text tag on them.

Have fun with your new toy this Christmas. :)

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Trunking is not a factor for me. Fortunately, we dont have any around my county. It would be strictly analog non-trunking. I have read a few of the 164 posts since posting this. I think it will be a worthwhile investment. Given the current sale price, I really can't see a reason NOT to get it. I want to thank all those who replied. I'm sure I will be on here again posting MY own 2 cents worth after spending some time with it.

Manny

I got mine on sale ($149.99) to replace a PRO97 that had an accident. Since then I've had the chance to play with a 346XT and I like it. If I had to pay full price, I would spend the extra couple bucks to get the Uniden, but IN MY OPINION, for the $150-$170 sale price you really can't beat the PRO164. I like the Uniden's smaller size, more durable feel (though I don't think it would survive getting run over) and the huge amount of systems you can put in it compared to the 1000 channels in 10 banks. Don't get me wrong, I like my 164, and if it had the V-scanner like the 2096 and a "bounce off the ground and keep working" feel like some Motorolas I've had my hands on it would IN MY OPINION be a $200 scanner.
JOMO

I have the 162 and 164, and i love them both. They are both very good radios. Yes i think it is worth it, especially right now when it is on sale for $150. What the 162 doesnt have the 164 does and vice versa. I really recomend this radio if you are looking for another scanner in that price range.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have the 162 and 164, and i love them both. They are both very good radios. Yes i think it is worth it, especially right now when it is on sale for $150. What the 162 doesnt have the 164 does and vice versa. I really recomend this radio if you are looking for another scanner in that price range.

Hey thanks!
It's good to hear from someone who has the 162 already as I do. As I posted earlier, I think I'm going to go for it. I already have the software and cable which I currently use on the Pro-163, it's base equivalent. So it should be interesting..

Manny

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
I just purchased the PRO-164 today. I paid $159.00 with tax. I have been looking at them for a while and always wanted to get one. I currently have the PRO-163 and love the scanner. I will update with any issues or problems.

bigcatmotorhead

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro 162 and pro 164 too. I like them both but the 164 has better audio and the display light can be toggled to stay on. The 162 allows you to move to different talk groups just by hitting the pause button and then using the up arrow or down arrow but I haven't found a way to do that with the 164. Good luck

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I got mine on sale ($149.99) to replace a PRO97 that had an accident. Since then I've had the chance to play with a 346XT and I like it. If I had to pay full price, I would spend the extra couple bucks to get the Uniden, but IN MY OPINION, for the $150-$170 sale price you really can't beat the PRO164. I've had my hands on it
JOMO

If only the 346XT covered Military Aircraft.

teknishun

Here is an entire thread on the topic. It turned out to be tricky for me because I wanted a cable that would work on all scanners I have from a COM port. If all you have is USB, then you need a USB to COM converter. I drew a schematic but don't have it electronically to share.

The USB to COM converter can be purchased at Radio Shack
for $34.99 plus tax, Ask for part number 20-047. The cable comes
with a CD for the proper cable driver to be loaded.

Once you get the PRO-164 up and running with Win97 and the USB
cable you will never go back to manual programmimh again !!

N8IAA

The USB to COM converter can be purchased at Radio Shack
for $34.99 plus tax, Ask for part number 20-047. The cable comes
with a CD for the proper cable driver to be loaded.

Once you get the PRO-164 up and running with Win97 and the USB
cable you will never go back to manual programmimh again !!
Connected the cable to my new pc running Win7, no drivers needed. Hooked up directly with my 106 via Win500. And no, you won't want to go back to manually programming. But, learn how to do it while on the road without your computer.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.