Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

judas12

Hello, i just bought a Pro-164 and if i dont use it for 4 or 5 days, the batteries get drained even when its off. Is that normal? My other scanners dont do that

Thanks

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
That's not normal. I leave rechargeables in my scanners for weeks at a time (unplugged) with no appreciable loss of power when I turn them on.

DPike

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-164 that I have used with both rechargeable batteries and regular alkaline batteries and have never had that problem. I have had it for a year or so now, I would say that is not normal and if it is new I would return it to the Shack for a different one.
Good Luck

DonS

That behavior could very well be normal - it depends on the batteries.

All NiMH cells "self-discharge" (though there are newer "low self-discharge" cells that do it much more slowly than in the past).

I've had AA NiMH cells that, after a full charge, would only hold that charge for 3 or 4 days while sitting on a shelf. These cells were purchased at least 10 years ago and have gone through an awful lot of charge/discharge cycles.

However, I have newer AA and AAA NiMH cells that seem to hold their charge for a couple of weeks, at least.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
NiMH batteries

... if it is new I would return it to the Shack for a different one.
This may or may not be a scanner problem. It is more likely to be a problem with the batteries, even if they are new. Take the batteries out of the scanner, wait the same time you are now, then put them back in. Are they still dead? If not, then it is the scanner. If yes, then it is the batteries.

There are a lot of threads here on RR about batteries and chargers. I've certainly had my experiences with them. Most of the batteries I have bought in typical stores (like WalMart) are not good. I have run DuraCell, Energizer, and PowerEx with no good luck. I have had good luck with Panasonic and Chicago Electric (from Harbor Freight). But the batteries which have been best are overwhelmingly Sanyo Eneloops. I am only running the 2000mah models. Note: higher capacity is not always better.

Status
Not open for further replies.