Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfs29223

Ok I have read all the posts and I am still lost. I have a pro164 and am trying to program trunked frequencies. So what I do is I scan the bands and find a freq where it sounds lkike someone is keying the mike every couple of seconds or so. Now as far as programing that freq into the scanner for trunking I am complety lost. I have down loaded a ton of instructions and all but non of them seem to help. The manual will get better use being lit on fire while on guard duty here on post. But for the radio all I have is the freq nothing else.

I would like someone to take me step by step barney style on how to make my scanning not just easier but more enjoyable. I see all this stuff about dec, hex ID tags and all. Like I said I have the freqs but nothing else. Plus I do not want the software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164/etc and trunking

Welcome to RadioReference.com. Your frustrations are not uncommon, a lot of people have difficulties with trunking. Note that the PRO-164 is the same radio as the PSR-300, both are made by GRE. They are also the same as their base equivalents of PRO-163 & PSR-400. I say this because you shouldn't limit your search or reading to "PRO-164".

Ok I have read all the posts and I am still lost. I have a pro164 and am trying to program trunked frequencies.
While I recommend learning to program by hand, it is a lot of work. Most of us with these scanners use software to program them. I use WIN97 (www.starrsoft.com).

So what I do is I scan the bands and find a freq where it sounds lkike someone is keying the mike every couple of seconds or so. Now as far as programing that freq into the scanner for trunking I am complety lost.
Whatever might have worked for finding conventional channels, does not work well for trunked channels.

I'd look in the database here and see if what you want to hear is already listed. If you still want to surf for a TRS, then you need to be looking for a "control channel", not voice channels. When you hear one, you'll know it. It is a very annoying sound many people have compared to a buzzsaw.

When you find such a frequency, program it and set the mode to MO (or ED or LTR). While you are parked on the frequency and hearing the buzzsaw, with the mode set, the 4th line of the display should tell you the system ID, site number, TG ID or the like.

If you put that frequency in to a bank, set the bank to OPEN, and set the mode of the bank to the same as you've set the frequency (MO, ED, LTR), then SCAN it to pick up the conversations. The scanner decodes the data and switches to voice channels automatically. It won't do this in MAN or SEARCH modes.

I have down loaded a ton of instructions and all but non of them seem to help. The manual will get better use being lit on fire while on guard duty here on post. But for the radio all I have is the freq nothing else.

I would like someone to take me step by step barney style on how to make my scanning not just easier but more enjoyable. I see all this stuff about dec, hex ID tags and all. Like I said I have the freqs but nothing else. Plus I do not want the software.
I am not sure what you mean by not wanting the software. It is certainly OK to program by hand. I figured out everything I wanted for my first scanner like this in a TEXT file, and it took one full week of pounding on keys to get all the data in there. I did program nearly the full 1000 channels, and about 400 TG IDs, but it is the text tags that are a time killer.

Good luck.

There are several threads on this topic. I just posted this in one of the others>>> Try reading this Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual I know it's for the pro97, but most functions will be the same as the 97 is basically the early version of the 164. Make sure you enter the freqs and change their mode to MO, and make sure you have the bank set as MOT . After entering freqs, push "PGM" then the orange button "T", it should say "Trunking mode not selected, press Mode key", push "MODE" until you see "Motorola TGID#00 MOT: none". at this time you can either enter your TGID's or push the "SCAN" button. If you push the scan button, as TGID #'s show in the bottom line you can push the "ENT" button and it will save them.

N1BHH

You are apparently trying to program LTR system frequencies. You will hear that "key up" type sound on LTR systems. You must program LTR systems in LCN (Logical Channel Number) order. If you are programming a system listed in the database, it will show the frequencies followed by a number such as 01, 02, etc. That is the channel number in the bank that you must program that frequency to. Some systems use LCN 01, 02, 03, etc. while others may be 01, 06, 11, etc.

You must program the frequencies exactly as they are listed. Once the first frequency is set up for the LTR, all frequencies you enter in that bank will all automatically program as LTR frequencies. After all have been entered, press Scan and let it do it's stuff. Just sitting on one of the channels won't result in very much to hear except the "key up" sound and a little chatter.

wfs29223

A Thank You

Well I will give this a try. And I will post my success or the lack of. Listning to the scanner durning my guard duty makes the time go by real fast.

Thanks again!

LoadLimit

I also have a pro-164, and dont want to start a new thread. I downloaded win97 software and have the cable from radioshack, however i cant find the cd, so i dont have the drivers installed. Is there anywhere i can get them?

I was able to web import some trunking systems, however, i'd like to save multiple systems in the same bank, as there is plenty of room it looks like, but when i import to the same bank, it copies the new system over the old system. Any advice?

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I've finally got the edacs trunked system inputted into my scanner, I had to do so manually, then download it from the scanner to win97. I know I am doing it backwards but it is the only way this program seems to be working for me. Now I'm trying to use win97 to do the talkgroups and it's not working. When I try to enter them via win97 at the ride side of the screen, it won't let me. Any insight?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Win97

I've finally got the edacs trunked system inputted into my scanner, I had to do so manually, then download it from the scanner to win97. I know I am doing it backwards but it is the only way this program seems to be working for me. Now I'm trying to use win97 to do the talkgroups and it's not working. When I try to enter them via win97 at the ride side of the screen, it won't let me. Any insight?
You probably have not set the bank to EDACS.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I also have a pro-164, and dont want to start a new thread. I downloaded win97 software and have the cable from radioshack, however i cant find the cd, so i dont have the drivers installed. Is there anywhere i can get them?
Yes. They are available online. Go to the Wiki section and look up your scanner. There are links there.

I was able to web import some trunking systems, however, i'd like to save multiple systems in the same bank, as there is plenty of room it looks like, but when i import to the same bank, it copies the new system over the old system. Any advice?
Generally speaking it is a bad idea to put more than one trunking system in the same bank. I won't get in to all the details here now, but even then it is ONLY possible if both systems are MOtorola and several other issues are met.

Next, WIN97 (or any other program) only rewrites ALL of a scanner's memory. So you must first download what you had in there from the scanner, ADD what you want, and upload the new file/data. You've got 10 banks, use them, even if there's only a few frequencies in each.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to RadioReference.com.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, get the software

Just wanted to second the recommendation to download Win97. I recently got a Pro97 (almost same as Pro-164) and started out by programming it all by hand. It was ok. But then I downloaded Win97 (free for 30 days) and it made EVERYTHING much easier.

Aside from allowing you to skip all the confusing button-pushing on the scanner, it actually HELPS YOU UNDERSTAND THE FEATURES OF YOUR SCANNER BETTER.

Download the software. Read the software instructions. And you'll be happy.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I am going crazy with this scanner. Now it won't even pick up the edacs system.. It stops when a particular talk group transmits but no audio comes over the radio. Conventional system works fine. But even with the Win97 software I can't get this thing programmed properly. At first I took it back to Radio Shack and exchanged it for another thinking it was defective. Again, I have the trunking system programmed in correctly. Even when it scans, it reflects that it is tracking a trunking system but no audio comes over. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.