Pro 18 and P25 Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
I have downloaded the new P25 frequencies and channels from the library. I have set the "Type" to Project25, the "voice" automatically goes to Digital . When scanning, it will stop on the channel, but all I hear is a pulse. No audio! I have checked the Squelch. Am I missing anything in the settings? I had no problem programming P25 to a Uniden after a learning curve.

Thanks you!

Last edited:

N8IAA

I have downloaded the new P25 frequencies and channels from the library. I have set the "Type" to Project25, the "voice" automatically goes to Digital . When scanning, it will stop on the channel, but all I hear is a pulse. No audio! I have checked the Squelch. Am I missing anything in the settings? I had no problem programming a Uniden after a learning curve.

Thanks you!

Have you updated the firmware and DSP? Are the TGID's maybe XTDMA, or Phase II? If so, they won't be decoded by the Pro-18. Are they encrypted TGID's?
Larry

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
Have you updated the firmware and DSP? Are the TGID's maybe XTDMA, or Phase II? If so, they won't be decoded by the Pro-18. Are they encrypted TGID's?
Larry

The Firmware is DSP-1.1 and CPU-1.3, which is the most current version. It seems I read Radio Shack quit supporting the Pro-18 very quickly. I know it isn't encrypted and pretty sure it is Phase 1. Thank you for your response.

Scott

wnjl

This happened to me. Make sure the DSP version on your scanner is in fact 1.1, and not 1.2, which was loaded on mine. I have no idea where the 1.2 came from, but upon "downgrading" to 1.1, that fixed the lack of digital voice.

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
This happened to me. Make sure the DSP version on your scanner is in fact 1.1, and not 1.2, which was loaded on mine. I have no idea where the 1.2 came from, but upon "downgrading" to 1.1, that fixed the lack of digital voice.

It is 1.1, I even took this radio out for a ride to see if distance was a factor.

On a side note, I see you have the BCD436HP. I just programmed one yesterday for a friend. Once I found out how to do the favorites, it was fun. I love that radio. This Pro 18 isn't actually mine. I maintain it for a lady who is a Citizen on Patrol. Thank you for your response.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I have downloaded the new P25 frequencies and channels from the library. I have set the "Type" to Project25, the "voice" automatically goes to Digital . When scanning, it will stop on the channel, but all I hear is a pulse. No audio! I have checked the Squelch. Am I missing anything in the settings? I had no problem programming P25 to a Uniden after a learning curve.

Thanks you!

Which system?

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
Which system?

Kevin it is the Radio Shack Pro-18 I am not getting voice on. I really do believe the system is Project25, Phase 1. The scan will stop on the channel and start pulsating, yet I get no voice. I have been doing all my programing through the iScan Software.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Which system?

Kevin it is the Radio Shack Pro-18 I am not getting voice on. I really do believe the system is Project25, Phase 1. The scan will stop on the channel and start pulsating, yet I get no voice. I have been doing all my programing through the iScan Software.

Which system specifically?

If you can find it in the RR database, please post the link to it.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

KevinC

Super Moderator
Much better!

I'm pretty sure all the TG's on that system are Phase 1 and not Phase 2, so the Pro-18 "should" work relatively well. I say should because it appears several of the sites are simulcast which your scanner may have issues with.

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is why I thought it might be a setting or the lack of any Firmware/DSP updates since GRE shut the doors. Thank you Kevin for your time. I appreciate it.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Load only the four control channels from the NE Tarrant P25 list of the Fort Worth Regional system. Then the talk groups. See if that solves the problem. There are extended settings in the software to load control channels only.

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
Load only the four control channels from the NE Tarrant P25 list of the Fort Worth Regional system. Then the talk groups. See if that solves the problem. There are extended settings in the software to load control channels only.

Thank you Garry,

Believe it or not, I stumbled on the problem yesterday and it is now working. When looking at the iScan Software, go to the following tabs: "Trunked Radio System" > "Site Details" > "Site Options" and make sure the Trunking Tables Type is set to "Auto Fill" instead of custom or standard.

Also on the same page just make sure Digital AGC is "on"

I returned the radio back to the owner last night and everyone is happy.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Glad you found the problem Scott. I need to check and make sure Auto fill and Digital AGC is checked on my copy of the software too. Thanks. Update: Just checked mine, Auto Fill was on, but Digital AGC was off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.