Pro-18 Digital scanner not picking up P25 Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

soboss34

Hi everyone,
I have a RS Pro-18 and I use iScan to program it. I recently moved to SC and am trying to listen to Horry County FD and Myrtle Beach FD. I used iScan to import the P25 sites, but I'm not picking them up. I confirmed this by listening to a scanner app on my phone at the same time. According to RR, they are all on Phase 1. What did I miss?
Thanks.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't believe that any of the updates for the Pro-18 are available any longer. I suggest that you send your scanner to Whistler for the Legacy Upgrade. It will update your scanner to a Whistler WS1080 which will add P25 Phase 2 and DMR. You will be able to use the WS1080 EZ Scan software for CPU firmware, DSP firmware, library, and application updates. There are many reports of improved performance after the upgrade. Here is the link: (whistlergroup.com)

soboss34

Thank you for the quick replies. I'll try the Legacy update before investing in a new scanner. Thanks again!!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned by sallen07 there's a good chance you're experiencing a phenominon known as simulcast distortion, perhaps the most discussed issue on these forums. In a simulcast system, a site is not a single transmitter at a specific location, but rather a collection of transmitters spread out over a certain area that all transmit on the same frequency at the same time. It's all those signals coming to your scanner at the same time that cause most scanners to lock up, stutter, miss transmissions, etc. Ultimately the only scanners designed to mitigate the effects of simulcast distortion are the Uniden SDS100 (portable) or SDS200 (base). Yes they are the most expensive but they do the job right. There are a number of workarounds for other scanners mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have had very good results with my Pro-18 and my GRE 800 upgrades. Simulcast should not prevent your from hearing anything, but it may be difficult to understand.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is a good possibility that simulcast distortion may be an issue. Being a Pro-18, the database (library) could be far out of date and that could be a reason for not being able to receive the Horry County system.

soboss34

Thank you guys! I'm going to try the Whistler upgrade since I love my Pro-18 and am sort of comfortable with using the software. If that doesn't work...It's time for a new one!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I have had very good results with my Pro-18 and my GRE 800 upgrades. Simulcast should not prevent your from hearing anything, but it may be difficult to understand.
Not all simulcast environments are created equal. Just because you have good results doesn't mean everyone will. It all boils down to location relative to two or more simulcasting towers

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thank you guys! I'm going to try the Whistler upgrade since I love my Pro-18 and am sort of comfortable with using the software. If that doesn't work...It's time for a new one!
I believe the upgrade is worth a try before putting out the big bucks for a SDS100 which is designed to receive simulcast sites. As Whiskey3JMC stated, if your scanner works well or not is just like real estate: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION in relation to the towers.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
If the legacy upgrade doesn't help, it will make your scanner worth more. You may need to upgrade to a uniden SDS series scanner that was designed for simulcast.

CycleSycho

:) One note for you, the EZ-Scan software is different than the I-Scan software, you might have a 'learning curve' to get 100% with it. Take advantage of the help here and don't forget the easier to read booklets available in the Whistler branded scanner forum. Before you get the scanner back (providing you do send it in), read up some to be prepared. Also, the post above mine member tvenger is offering a file for you. Good luck! :)

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Although I would still get the upgrade, it will not help his problem. All of Oconee County is analog, so simulcast is not the problem. Pickens County next door had Pal800 TG's have never heard anything on them, they also are still using analog.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Oops, ignore my post, read did not pay attention, saw his location and ASSumed Salem in Oconee County, sorry.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Best to get the upgrade and if you still have problems ask in the Whistler forum.

The upgrade includes a boat load of firmware fixes the ws1080 received and the Radio shack scanners never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.