Pro-18 iScan Software and Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

Has anyone had any success uploading the frequency library from iScan to the Pro-18 on a Windows 8.1 system? I've tried on 2 different systems, and on both I get the dreaded "Program Not Responding" when it gets to about 40%. It's not a huge deal since I can update the library by removing the SD from the radio and copying the update to it directly. I didn't have any issues with Windows 7 and 8.0.

JustLou

It works on my 8.1 system. Mine hangs at times like that; but I just wait it out. It finally gets it done.

Hmm. OK. ...I did wait a few minutes, but maybe I'll wait a little longer next time. Thanks.

JustLou

Hmm. OK. ...I did wait a few minutes, but maybe I'll wait a little longer next time. Thanks.

Edit: I think my card is going bad and it's not the program or Windows. I just tried to update the data from my old Windows 7 laptop, and I'm having issues. I can't even format the card now. Oh well. No big deal. I'll just pick up another microSD card.

DJ11DLN

There seem to be some issues with some of the OEM SD cards. Fortunately they're pretty cheap to replace. Mine used to lock up at power on about every other time I turned it on; formatting and reloading the card would fix it for maybe a week and it would go right back to doing it. A new card cured 99+% of that. I got a 2-pack so when I update I can have the card ready to go and the scanner only has to be off briefly. It's also nice to have a backup just in case one of those messes up. Just don't get too big of a card, it won't do a thing for your scanner except to slow down the power-on time. I got 4GB ones just because I couldn't find any 2GB ones locally and I didn't want to wait for shipping.

JustLou

There seem to be some issues with some of the OEM SD cards. Fortunately they're pretty cheap to replace. Mine used to lock up at power on about every other time I turned it on; formatting and reloading the card would fix it for maybe a week and it would go right back to doing it. A new card cured 99+% of that. I got a 2-pack so when I update I can have the card ready to go and the scanner only has to be off briefly. It's also nice to have a backup just in case one of those messes up. Just don't get too big of a card, it won't do a thing for your scanner except to slow down the power-on time. I got 4GB ones just because I couldn't find any 2GB ones locally and I didn't want to wait for shipping.

I picked up a 4GB Kingston Class 4 card for $5. I know the larger cards can slow down startup, but I figure the faster speed over the OEM Class 2 card will even it out. I won't find out until Tuesday though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

I picked up a 4GB Kingston Class 4 card for $5. I know the larger cards can slow down startup, but I figure the faster speed over the OEM Class 2 card will even it out. I won't find out until Tuesday though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Even if it doesn't, a 4GB won't slow it down enough to matter, it's when folks try to use 16 or 32GB cards that it turns to molasses. Good luck with the scanner, I absolutely love mine.

JustLou

Even if it doesn't, a 4GB won't slow it down enough to matter, it's when folks try to use 16 or 32GB cards that it turns to molasses. Good luck with the scanner, I absolutely love mine.

Thanks. I've had mine for a long time, and performance wise it blows away my Uniden HP-1. It's one of my "keeper" radios.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.