pro 18 not worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursepen

I recently brought the pro 18 and I am very dissatisfied. The first one I bought was missing the program disc and it took a week to get the replacement when I loaded into my computer it refused to update the libray, first thing tommorow it's going back to the store for a refund

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
that just sounds like it may be a fluke, however i'd be interested in knowing how many other people don't like the radio. i'm not a big fan of the mp3 player look and play, i'm really a full keypad guy but i actually thought about buying one and giving it a shot, but if there's a bunch of people out there who give the impression not to by the radio, then i may just go with my original feeling and stay away from it

My Pro 106 fits the bill for my needs. I like having "total control" on what I want to hear, a keypad to make changes in the field, etc....Of course that is my opinion.

I did take a gander at the Pro 18, I am also not quite sold on the mp3 look and operation.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Happy with mine, my software loaded updated the lib loaded it up tested on a new p25 9600 800 system then drove to near a new p25 9600 700 system grabbed it out of the lib made a scanlist tracked perfect without my laptop works great beside my 96 2096 106 197 785d and 163. Tracks anolog 3600 800 system, 3600 multinet system P25 KSP Repeaters, old wide band and new narrow band. Its neet having all the US loaded on a mem card.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I recently brought the pro 18 and I am very dissatisfied. The first one I bought was missing the program disc and it took a week to get the replacement when I loaded into my computer it refused to update the libray, first thing tommorow it's going back to the store for a refund

When you returned it, did they attempt to help you with the problem other than order the replacement CDROM? Did you try it on more than one computer (if you had one available)?
I'm curious, because this is just what would happen if someone with no experience with computers, USB cables, or microSD cards/readers will have issues with.

A quick start guide and troubleshooting may be helpful to a customer and the Radio Shack employee.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
If the program disk was missing, you go to the company's website and download it. Very, very simple. You returned the radio for this?

Some anti virus software, not the scanner will not let you update the library. Please don't tell us you returned a 2nd radio.

nursepen

Not so simple the radio is so new there is no support on the radio shack site,I may try again when the radio becomes available in my local radio shack store

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not so simple the radio is so new there is no support on the radio shack site,I may try again when the radio becomes available in my local radio shack store

What Windows version were you installing the software on?

N8IAA

I don't understand why you want a RS Pro-18, when the PSR-800 includes everything you have with the Pro-18, plus more memory, record and playback of memories, and better design to access the menu. GREAmerica provides excellent customer assistance. GRE will definitely still be my main scanner provider.
Larry

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't understand why you want a RS Pro-18, when the PSR-800 includes everything you have with the Pro-18, plus more memory, record and playback of memories, and better design to access the menu. GREAmerica provides excellent customer assistance. GRE will definitely still be my main scanner provider.
Larry

Not to mention, the PSR-800 costs $50 less. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would pay more for less with the PRO-18. :confused:

Do you have a local GRE store for support?

Are you implying that you can actually get any sort of help or support from a local Radio Shack store? You'll forgive me for chuckling if you are. :lol:

JoeRock

Had the same problem with my PRO-107.... I could not update the firmware. Loaded the software on another computer and it worked great. I was able to update the firmware and the library.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry you live in an area that has no one cares about their customers. Mine greets me helps me with repairs. He takes the time to learn to operate all things in his store. He helps his customers even after the sales. I had a small repair to my PRO-106 out of warranty he paid shipping and repair bill no cost to me. I do not need the extras the 800 offers so support after the sales you bet. Small time local owner support some one that takes the time to make his customers happy you bet I like the PRO-18 local and not buy from I only care about the money over the internet sales store that does not know you if you have a problem.

nursepen

would consider gre if there is a dealer in the south jersey area,It sounds like most local radio shacks won't be carrying pro 18 intil closer to the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.