PRO-18 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
I’m considering purchasing an upgraded (Whistler) Radio Shack Pro-18 and was curious about manually changing frequencies?

realizing full well this scanner like so many other relies on the RR database. Is this possible?

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is no numerical keypad on the Pro-18. If the scanner has the Whistler Legacy Upgrade, you will use the Whistler WS1080/WS1088 EZ Scan software to change frequencies. The upgraded Pro-18 will also be capable of P25 Phase 2 and DMR.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You can do editing from the keyboard and the menu. Go to Program Menu, press Select, and choose with the up-down right-left arrows and select key.

CycleSycho

I’m considering purchasing an upgraded (Whistler) Radio Shack Pro-18 and was curious about manually changing frequencies?

realizing full well this scanner like so many other relies on the RR database. Is this possible?

:) How was it upgraded, you MUST make sure it was the Whistler Legacy Upgrade before using the EZ Scan program. IF it was upgraded by the program that hacked the software, your going to 'brick' it by using the EZ Scan software. Check with the folks here and in the Whistler radio forum to try to verify which upgrade the radio has. IF you find it has the program hack, you might be able to save some $ by reversing the program hack then it'll have to be sent to Whistler to upgrade ($60 plus tax, see the link below) it so it can use the EZ Scan software. There is one other way, it is risky if the program hack is in the radio. If it is the Whistler Legacy Upgrade it'll use EZ Scan fine, if not it'll be 'bricked'. You then have to sent it in to Whistler ( https://whistlergroup.com/products/upgrade ), and they will 'unbrick' it and convert it to the WS-1080 type radio BUT it'll cost 90 bucks plus tax (30 bucks plus tax more, total 90 plus tax). :)

:) Simply, you'll be able to use the latest EZ Scan if Whistler did the upgrade, 60 plus tax if the unauthorized upgrade is in the radio and you can reverse it, or 90 plus tax if you use the latest EZ Scan and brick it. CHECK THE LINK! Good luck!

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
:) How was it upgraded, you MUST make sure it was the Whistler Legacy Upgrade before using the EZ Scan program. IF it was upgraded by the program that hacked the software, your going to 'brick' it by using the EZ Scan software.

I've had my 18 working fine with P25 and DMR with the non official. EZ scan program works fine to program it and even setting the clock too.
It Wont brick as long as the FW is 4.5 and DSP at 3.2

18.jpg

CycleSycho

I've had my 18 working fine with P25 and DMR with the non official. EZ scan program works fine to program it and even setting the clock too.
It Wont brick as long as the FW is 4.5 and DSP at 3.2

View attachment 94733

:) It is TEMPTING to just hit 'update all' (where there are ticks filling in the box) so if it is the unauthorized update and he uses the latest EZ Scan, it'll brick it. Not everyone knows the difference. I suspect others will be BURNED buying the unauth radio mod and using it with the latest EZ Scan. If this issue doesn't apply to his situation, no foul present. :)

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Sold mine last week, had it for about 2 years with no issues at all with the unofficial FW.
Been using the TRX1 more purchased here from classifieds for cheap so that is why I sold the 18

Status
Not open for further replies.