Pro-18 Simulcast Distortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am going to take the plunge and order a Pro-18 at a heavily discounted price. How well does this radio perform on linear simulcast? Does this radio distort like the Pro-106/PSR500? Of course, this won't deter my decision because I'm ordering it now. LOL.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yep

I hope you were not planning on Overstock.com for the radio.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yes, I discovered that there were no more units at Overstock. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for your response. If I happen to find one of these in a pawn shop, I will certainly drop some money.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-18 works well on our local simulcast, which is known to be difficult for some radios. I monitor daily, and have very few garbled transmissions.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Garbled Is Norm Here

The Pro-18 works well on our local simulcast, which is known to be difficult for some radios. I monitor daily, and have very few garbled transmissions.

Recently, some type of linear simulcasting alteration/installation occurred on our P25 trunking system. Since then, I frequently experience simulcast distortion on my GRE-designed radio. My model is the same as the Pro-106.

Oh well, all I can do is hope. I seriously doubt Overstock will be selling many more at the heavily-discounted price of $79.

fredva

Feed Provider
There are different flavors of simulcast, and it seems different radios are stronger at decoding the different flavors. For example, my PRO-18 doesn't decode Stafford County, Virginia's simulcast system very well. However, the reception of the older Charlottesville-area Motorola simulcast system is excellent. But people with newer Uniden scanners have reported garbled transmissions on the Charlottesville system while the Uniden x36HP handles Stafford County very well.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Linear Distortion on Pro-18?

There are different flavors of simulcast, and it seems different radios are stronger at decoding the different flavors. For example, my PRO-18 doesn't decode Stafford County, Virginia's simulcast system very well. However, the reception of the older Charlottesville-area Motorola simulcast system is excellent. But people with newer Uniden scanners have reported garbled transmissions on the Charlottesville system while the Uniden x36HP handles Stafford County very well.

Since I don't own a Uniden 436HP yet, I don't know how the "analyze" function works. But, I am hoping that there is an interactive function of this radio that allows you to adjust the radio to optimal reception for the various systems. I am not talking about a Global, but individual adjustment. That might be asking too much. Still, I believe this radio can be adjusted for better reception from what I've read here.

I know that some people were having difficulty decoding the TxWarn P25 system, specific to TDMA, Houston PD. Of course, I am speaking specifically about the new Phase II scanners. But, I don't think they are experiencing linear simulcast distortion like mine.

I am going to have the $$$$ pretty soon.

I wish I'd responded to the initial selling of the Pro-18. I have never quite understood why RS did not make an equivalent of the PSR 800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.