Pro-197 and Apco 25 phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JethrowJohnson

Sorry, but it only receives P25 Phase I. Phase II scanners include the Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2/BCD996P2, BCD436HP/BCD536HP, and SDS100/SDS200, although there are some others too, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. This has a list of P25 scanners and which ones support Phase II: APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does that means the Pro 652 is in the same condition?
Yes! The PRO-197 and PRO-652 both use the same design. Neither is capable of decoding P25 Phase 2. The Palmetto 800 trunked system is P25 Phase 2 capable but all of the talkgroups are currently P25 Phase 1 (D in Mode column). Either scanner will presently receive the system OK. If talkgroups change to Phase 2 (T in Mode column), you are out of luck.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well,

Does that means the Pro 652 is in the same condition?
The Pro-197, PSR600, Pro-652, & WS1065 are all the same basic radio. The first two were produced by GRE, the last two by Whistler. Other than a few differences in internal components that are no longer available, which applies to the Pro-652 & WS1065, there's no difference in the capabilities. As already noted, no P25 Phase ii. They simply don't have the internal hardware to handle it/

JethrowJohnson

Also, Newberry County EMS has an NXDN channel, and Chester County EMS operates on the FLETTALK CAROLINAS network which is NXDN NEXEDGE 4800. So if you want to hear those too, it'll require an NXDN upgrade, but if not, it sounds like you should be good to go.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Also, Newberry County EMS has an NXDN channel, and Chester County EMS operates on the FLETTALK CAROLINAS network which is NXDN NEXEDGE 4800. So if you want to hear those too, it'll require an NXDN upgrade, but if not, it sounds like you should be good to go.
Neither the PRO-197 nor the PRO-652 is capable of upgrading to NXDN or DMR.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Should the AGC and supertrack be on or off I have it off and what would 5 seconds be on delay time it's set at 2000

tvengr

Well Known Member
If it is a simulcast site, I would leave AGC off. The AGC action can increase garbled audio problems. Otherwise, turn it on. I find that SuperTrack seems to work better with simulcast. Try it both on and off to determine which one works better on the system as far as missing transmissions and garbled audio. The delay time is in 100 milliseconds. A delay of 20 is 2 seconds.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
If it is a simulcast site, I would leave AGC off. The AGC action can increase garbled audio problems. Otherwise, turn it on. I find that SuperTrack seems to work better with simulcast. Try it both on and off to determine which one works better on the system as far as missing transmissions and garbled audio. The delay time is in milliseconds. 2,000 milliseconds is 2 seconds.
I have tried the AGC on and off and couldn't tell a difference

sambu

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but it only receives P25 Phase I. Phase II scanners include the Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2/BCD996P2, BCD436HP/BCD536HP, and SDS100/SDS200, although there are some others too, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. This has a list of P25 scanners and which ones support Phase II: APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki
Also, PSR-800, WS-1095, WS-1098, TRX-1, TRX-2. In my experience, the Whistler scanners receive trunked P25 really well, and I prefer the WS-1098 over the BCD536HP for P25 phase 2. The SDS100/SDS200 look really nice - they are probably what I would buy if I wanted to drop big money on a scanner right now.

sambu

Premium Subscriber
That is true if the sites are not simulcast.
I've been scanning 2 P25 Phase 1 sites in two different states, one 800MHz and one 700MHz , one right next door to the other, both simulcast, with both a WS-1098 and a BCD536HP for years with no problems. The WS-1098 always slightly outperformed the BCD536HP both at home and mobile, but both were pretty darn good. Maybe it's because of the way the coverage is set up, but I've never had problems with the simulcast systems.
That said, each system has less than half dozen towers in the area, so maybe that is what makes the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.