Pro 197 and external battery pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCN

I have searched for a simply answer to my question. I am a little confused. All I want to do is have a Li-ion battery pack that I will solder on to the car adapter plug. I do not want to charge the batteries from the Pro, I will simply charge from a remote charger. I will make sure the pack has PCB included. It looks like the voltage will be 14.8 due to the Li-ion characteristics. I am worried about voltage change with these batteries or actually any external power I may use. Does the circuit board in the pro protect itself from low, high voltage or amps? I am assuming it must to some level because a car battery depending on its state could have a large swing.

JCN

I have searched for a simply answer to my question. I am a little confused. All I want to do is have a Li-ion battery pack that I will solder on to the car adapter plug. I do not want to charge the batteries from the Pro, I will simply charge from a remote charger. I will make sure the pack has PCB included. It looks like the voltage will be 14.8 due to the Li-ion characteristics. I am worried about voltage change with these batteries or actually any external power I may use. Does the circuit board in the pro protect itself from low, high voltage or amps? I am assuming it must to some level because a car battery depending on its state could have a large swing.
Am I the only one interested in a alternate power supply other than 120 volt or vehicle power. Is this answer to obvious. I am concerned about scanner damage.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Am I the only one interested in a alternate power supply other than 120 volt or vehicle power. Is this answer to obvious. I am concerned about scanner damage.

The cheapest, easiest way I know would be to wire your mobile cable that came with your pro-197 in series to 2, 6 volt lantern batteries for external power. Also be sure to shut off your pro-197 before unplugging your ac and connecting dc.
This does work well!

n9zas

nanZor

I've had good luck with an XPAL XP8000 external lithium-polymer power pack that provides 5v, 18v, and 9-12v dc outputs for running some of my gear that draws 700ma off the 12v output - for about 4 hours or so. I kind of wish I got the larger XPAL XP18000 now, but finances prevailed.

Something like that might do in a pinch..

sphipps

These scanners are built to run direct off of 12V vehicle current which varies widely... so you're safe running it anywhere from 12V to 16V and should work just fine within that range. Some say the included power adapter for these outputs 20V or more straight out of the box.

Most any radio equipment built for vehicle use can compensate for wide voltage swings without damage.

I'd be more worried about hooking it up with correct polarity than the voltage requirements. Hooking it up wrong will turn it into a "brick" quicker than the blink of an eye... fused or not.

JCN

Thanks for the replies! The thing with the li-ion pack is you can get 14.8 volt 2200 mah pack for about $45.You can set it up with a jst plug, and their light and small enough that you could mount it on the back with Velcro. It would be easy to swap out or charge. Setting it up with jst connection or similar you would not have a polarity problem. That is good to know that it cannot tolerate incorrect polarity. So I guess when the power drops off, the scanner will show low battery and eventually not work without any harm. Is that correct?

sphipps

Correct... the power pack you mention will work just fine. I believe the PRO-197 does shut down automatically when the voltage drops low enough and gives a "Low Voltage" display message just like the PRO-106. Even if it didn't... you're not going to hurt anything letting the voltage drop. When voltage drops below the requirements in traditional scanners, the volume starts getting weak. That's when the batteries need replaced or recharged.

JCN

Correct... the power pack you mention will work just fine. I believe the PRO-197 does shut down automatically when the voltage drops low enough and gives a "Low Voltage" display message just like the PRO-106. Even if it didn't... you're not going to hurt anything letting the voltage drop. When voltage drops below the requirements in traditional scanners, the volume starts getting weak. That's when the batteries need replaced or recharged.

Your making me feel much better about this. I just thought it would be nice to pick the unit up and move it around and take it with you either outside, in another room, on a table next to where you sitting or where ever and not have a cord or large battery toggled to it. Like I said the Li-ion can be strapped to the unit so it's just like one compact unit with nothing coming off it. Of course I know someone is going to say just get a handheld.

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
I have been reading your discussions about external power supplies for the PRO-197 and I have a related problem that I am trying to solve. I have my PRO-197 mounted in my vehicle wired to the "always hot" accessory jack. The scanner works fine until I start the vehicle; then when the power momentarily shuts off when I turn the key to start, my scanner shuts off and displays "low voltage" and must be turned off and back on. Is there any way to prevent this other than trying to remember to turn the scanner off and back on every time I start the vehicle? I tried adding a 1-farad 16 volt booster capacitor in the line to provide some buffer current while starting but this does not always work. Has anyone else had this problem?

JCN

I have been reading your discussions about external power supplies for the PRO-197 and I have a related problem that I am trying to solve. I have my PRO-197 mounted in my vehicle wired to the "always hot" accessory jack. The scanner works fine until I start the vehicle; then when the power momentarily shuts off when I turn the key to start, my scanner shuts off and displays "low voltage" and must be turned off and back on. Is there any way to prevent this other than trying to remember to turn the scanner off and back on every time I start the vehicle? I tried adding a 1-farad 16 volt booster capacitor in the line to provide some buffer current while starting but this does not always work. Has anyone else had this problem?

I believe this has been talked about before. If I remember, the way to resolve it is to connect directly to the battery. I don't think there was a way to solve it through the jack unless you wire the jack direct.

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. The capacitor helps but even with it installed, sometimes the scanner shuts off due to low voltage during vehicle starting. Even though I charged the capacitor to 16 volts and allowed it to stabilize before installation, voltage at the capacitor when installed measures only 7 volts across the terminals when the system is showing 14.4V with the motor running. I don't understand why this is but I am ready to give in and wire directly to the battery.
Thanks again for your help.

truckie36

Feed Provider
It sounds like your current power source is momentarily interrupted when you start your vehicle. Try wiring your scanner to a fuse that is only powered when the ignition is on. When you start the vehicle the scanner turns on and you won't ever accidentally leave it on and drain your battery. If you want to run it with your vehicle off, make sure that your power source is hot 100% of the time.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber

I use the gel-cell alarm box type of battery and find the 12 volt version to work for days (7aHr variety). Since the is supposedly the same as the handi-scanner, I would presume your way of powering it should be ok. The Li-ion cells might need tome protection - I have no idea on those.

I have also run this in the trucks on a hot tap from the fuse box. No ill effects form cranking with the big truck and the Ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.