Pro-197 and Project 25 Phase I Question

kflo01

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Pro-197 and I have a paid Radioreference account. I uploaded Orleans Parish (LA)

Orleans Parish (36) - New Orleans Police

It uploaded successfully to the scanner but when it receives transmissions it's garbled. Is there a setting I need to change to it work or does this mean it is encrypted and I won't be able to listen to it? I used ARCPRO500 to program the scanner so it imported pretty seamlessly. I have picked up other transmissions on it GMRS, CB btw.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Should have gone with a Uniden SDS100 to monitor as they're much better at mitigating simulcast distortion. Welcome to the RR forums

Yes, New Orleans Police are fully encrypted as is every talkgroup in the database ID'ed as mode "DE" but New Orleans Fire is clear (mode "D")

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Also looks like many agencies are encrypted in Orleans Parish.

kflo01

Premium Subscriber
Should have gone with a Uniden SDS100 to monitor as they're much better at mitigating simulcast distortion. Welcome to the RR forums

Yes, New Orleans Police are fully encrypted as is every talkgroup in the database ID'ed as mode "DE" but New Orleans Fire is clear (mode "D")
Ok, so anything "DE" is encrypted. Gotcha. I am on the job and have a radio but getting into HAM, GMRS and all that wanted a scanner to play with was wondering why when something came over a channel on the scanner it sounded like that. I kinda figured that was it but wanted confirmation. So I might as well go through my scan list and remove all the DE ones then I assume.

kflo01

Premium Subscriber
Anything else I should know about this scanner? I am about to go clear out my scanlist and start over making sure not to add any DE entries. Anything else it can't pickup that is listed in radioreference?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Anything else I should know about this scanner?
#1 it can't handle simulcast cells like New Orleans Simulcast very well as I alluded to in post #2. It may still struggle with clear (mode "D") talkgroups (New Orleans Fire, etc) if you're within range of two or more towers on the cell

#2 Although not applicable to the target system we're focusing on, it can't handle P25 Phase-II systems if talkgroups aren't FDMA (Mode "D"). If in the future your state decides to upgrade its radio system to Phase-II with TDMA talkgroups you'll be completely out of luck with your Pro-197 but we'll cross that bridge if the time comes

Anything else it can't pickup that is listed in radioreference?
#3 it can't pick up anything listed in the RRDB as mode DE, TE, P25E, DMRE or NXDNE as these are fully encrypted. A lowercase "e" suffix indicates partial encryption

Last edited:

kflo01

Premium Subscriber
ugh! I spent 250.00 on this thing, open box, oh well live and learn.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If simulcast is not a problem at your location, you will be able to monitor New Orleans Fire. Also, VHF marine band, railroads, New Orleans airport, and a lot more conventional frequencies. On the LWIN trunked system, there will be a lot of activity during hurricanes (If simulcast is not a problem at your location).