PRO 197 Audio issue

1977addis

W3WIK
Premium Subscriber
Hello all! I am having one primary issue with my Pro-197 scanner looking to see if others are having the same problem. Basically the scanner's speaker will always sound off but it kind of "mutes it self" so i have to smack the unit like an old Tube TV in order it to sound off properly. I have disassembled the unit about 3 times, carefully looked at the volume pot, board, wiring and everything looks to be ok but still (even after a contact cleaner bath) it still has this issue. any ideas or others experiencing this same problem?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try plugging headphones or an earpiece into the headphone jack. Dirty contacts on the headphone jack can mute the internal speaker. I had to smack my old tube TV to get it to start.

Nasby

This is a very common problem with this unit. Smacking it on top was the only remedy I could find. I resoldered the points around the speaker but that didn’t help. Even smacking it would only work for a few days until it went out again. I eventually bought an external speaker and used that.