pro-197 doesnt like digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
so i finally upgraded to a digital scanner and 2 of our local police county and city use digital, the city police come in fine but the county is hit or miss probly 60-70% of the time its just a garbled sound then other times it sounds just fine?? is there any settings that can be changed for the digital reception

Highpockets

so i finally upgraded to a digital scanner and 2 of our local police county and city use digital, the city police come in fine but the county is hit or miss probly 60-70% of the time its just a garbled sound then other times it sounds just fine?? is there any settings that can be changed for the digital reception

Could that garbled sound possibly be encryption?

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
What area or department are you trying to monitor?

police stevens point wi and portage co. 155.59500 , 155.6700 this one gives me the trouble, sometimes it is the dispatch that is garbled and the relpy from the officer is fine and other times it seems the opposite

sjgostovich

I concur...

There are times you'll have either dispatch or mobiles using encryption, so That may be what's going on, someone is encrypted.

This would be my guess as well. Although I have not been over to monitor that way yet, quite a few of your neighbor counties to the north (Oneida and Vilas Counties in perticular) do the same thing. And yes, it is very annoying to try and listen to!

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
it seems the digital police radios in this county are having lots of issues, im hearing lots of "couldnt make out what you said" "you were garbled, i couldnt here you" and lots of 10-9's,, this cant be good for a police radio system!

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
An under built system will cause those problems in a digital system weak signal is bad radios need solid signal to decode.
Also it is not the scanner when thy have to ask to repeat to each other the 197 works great just like the radios do as long as the signal is there.
You might try an outside antenna with good coax to help get more signal.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

On the flip-side, a simulcast system can cause reception issues, too. Scanners don't have the more expensive electronics, to handle the signals. The PSR-800 seems to do better with simulcasts, according to what I have read from those that have the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.