PRO-197 Help Programming P25 NAC Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

txsrdking

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to program the TX DPS and am not having much luck. I live in Dallas. I use WIN500 and have programmed in "CONV Objects" all the APCO-25 Statewide Channel plan as well as Dallas Regional frequencies along with TXCALL1 and TXCALL2. I have set up the Squelch Mode for P25 frequencies as: NAC and set the Modulation as: Auto I have a 30ft high discone base antenna as well as have tried a rubber duck and am not receiving anything. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Redneck0410

I assume you're programming by hand? I assume it may be those channels don't get much use.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I use WIN500 to program. I would think the TXDPS would talk more.
I'm also in Dallas.

Texas DPS is not near as busy on the radio as they used to be. Most of their routine communications, such as traffic stops, are handled via their MDT's (data terminals in the cars). While I do hear some activity, it's not non-stop like you might think.

Depending on where in the metro area you are, you could conceivably be out of range, because of the way their system works. Generally, Tx DPS is set up to use duplex communications with their dispatch offices. The base transmits on one frequency, and the mobiles respond on an entirely different one. In more rural areas, you may hear both sides, as they use a mobile repeater. If you look at the system in the database, you'll see those labeled as Repeater 01 through 20. In the rural areas, you are more likely to hear DPS on the county S.O.'s frequency. In some areas, DPS has one or more talkgroups on the trunked system used in that region.

Late nights, you may hear DPS 101, based in Mesquite, assisting other agencies, especially Garland or Mesquite, in either a chase, or looking for a suspect. In those cases, the copter usually simulcasts on both the agencies' frequency or talkgroup, as well as the DPS Dallas channel.

I have the PSR-500, among other scanners, which is a portable sibling of your Pro-197; both were manufactured by the now defunct GRE. The GRE scanners are prone to overload by other strong signals. If you are near another transmitter, especially an FM radio station's tower, the scanner may be getting overloaded & desensed by that. I have all of the DPS frequencies set as NFM (narrow FM) instead of auto mode, and have the NACS entered.

txsrdking

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the detailed reply! I have all the DPS RPT's programmed. Just FYI, I live in NW Dallas. I will try NFM. Your suggestion of less traffic and the MDTs makes since. I'll just stick to Dallas PD, Deploy, ICS and DCSO. I just wanted to make sure I was not programming incorrectly. Thanks again "hiegtx"

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the detailed reply! I have all the DPS RPT's programmed. Just FYI, I live in NW Dallas. I will try NFM. Your suggestion of less traffic and the MDTs makes since. I'll just stick to Dallas PD, Deploy, ICS and DCSO. I just wanted to make sure I was not programming incorrectly. Thanks again "hiegtx"
If you are in NW Dallas County, take a shot at the DPS repeater in Denton County, 159.2175, NAC 111. Also, the Tollways channels. You might also be able to hear the Aledo repeater, listed under Mineral Wells. That's on the Tarrant/Parker County line. Aledo, and the Mineral Wells base are usually simulcast, and normally very active.

I also have the complete statewide plan in my PSR-500, as well as the various Uniden models I have. Of course, with Dallas PD, the Deployment talkgroups, & DCSO, that's quite a bit to keep the scanner busy. Unfortunately, the other agencies near you (Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Coppell, Irving, and Denton County) have moved to P25 Phase II.

txsrdking

Premium Subscriber
Yes, time to invest in another scanner that can handle P25 Phase II. When I say NW Dallas, Marsh Ln/Forest Ln area.

Status
Not open for further replies.