pro 197 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronneely1

Just wanted to know if any one has the problem i am having and how i can fix it. The problem i have with my pro 197 is when scanning freq in vhf range I get almost all the time get the noaa weather station bled over. I live in Summers County and if I use the att function it makes raleigh county stations almost unreadable. I have it on a out side antenna. I have read that these radios have a hot front end ,but I had a diffrent pro 197 about six months ago I was playin around with and it never got this bleed over?

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Are you using PL, DPL or NAC> If not and you by chance know the PL, DPL or NAC, use them on the freq that you are getting bleed over on and that could help quite a bit.

aaronneely1

I am using all them and in every one i get it i just posted video on you tube search for it title pro 197 WV you can hear how it does

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I believe what you are saying fully. How close are you to the NOAA Tower? Have you tried using the ATT per freq and not global?? That outside antenna might actually be hurting you.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Cell towers kill me local on a neighboring county 800mhz Trunking system when one the system towers is within sight distance from my house.

aaronneely1

I live about 10 or 15 air miles to the tower i looked it up on NOAA and looks like the have up to 1000 watts to use I just have not had this problem before and its strange to me I dont really know how to tell if putting a filter would help or just not use a outside att like you said. If ya get time liik at the video and see what you think it is?

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
wow, I watched your vid and thats something. Have you tried scanning without the outside antenna and see if it happens then? Thats unreal bleed over. My 197 has a few minor flaws but nothing like that. That 1000 watt NOAA transmitter is killing you. Do you know anyone else local within like a couple miles that may have the same problem?

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I didnt watch the whole vid because the first part was enough for me to say wow. I noticed on the part than I watched you had the global ATT on. Is it worse without it turned on??

aaronneely1

One other person In the area. I also pick it up on my ham rig with a outside J pole. but the crazy thing dont do that if i hook up my old uniden scanner to the same antenna and work great no bled over that i can hear. If I scan with just the pull up that came with it ya cant hear it. But I also cant hear my far away stations either.

aaronneely1

yep i was kinda not liken that I cant deal with the bled over thu I guess thats my only option for now to use a filter or take down the outside job. I hate to do that i just spent alot of time fixin it outside and I will lose some reception on the other farther stations i listen to. I dont know the first thing about a filter for a scanner would that make me loss reception just on the 162.425 or would it drop on all vhf freqs?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Where I used to live, the pagers killed me no matter what scanner I used. While I still lived there, I bought a AOR 1500. EVERYTHING killed the front end of it and I ended up never using it.

marauder6

yep i was kinda not liken that I cant deal with the bled over thu I guess thats my only option for now to use a filter or take down the outside job. I hate to do that i just spent alot of time fixin it outside and I will lose some reception on the other farther stations i listen to. I dont know the first thing about a filter for a scanner would that make me loss reception just on the 162.425 or would it drop on all vhf freqs?

Notch filters are centered on a specific frequency and only attenuate slightly above and below that frequency. Check out this filter from Par Electronics VHFSYM162HT Specifications and Plot
I bought a FM filter from there to deal with a nearby 50kW FM tower and the difference is like night and day.

SMG

aaronneely1

just a update on my scanner and the NOAA weather problem I put a video on youtube title pro 197 wv and you can hear the NOAA on all freqs I talked to the weather center and they advised methey would switch transmitters to monitor and let them know if there was a change and man what a change it is 100% better reception i posted a second video title pro 197 WV 2 to show the change! Now only if it stays that way.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
just a update on my scanner and the NOAA weather problem I put a video on youtube title pro 197 wv and you can hear the NOAA on all freqs I talked to the weather center and they advised methey would switch transmitters to monitor and let them know if there was a change and man what a change it is 100% better reception i posted a second video title pro 197 WV 2 to show the change! Now only if it stays that way.

That's actually pretty cool and responsive of them. :) Most people would just cuss them and never even let them know.

Status
Not open for further replies.