Pro-197 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumafach

Hello, I am new here and looking for advice.

My aunt has wanted a scanner and her son finally got her one. It is a Radio Shack PRO-197.
After she got it she couldn't program it. She knew I have a scanner so she asked me if I could help. I have a plain jane 200 channel scanner (PRO 2032) which works fine for me. I know nothing about this trunking thing.

First Radio shack tells me I need to buy a cable to program it and of course the antenna is too small. I get the cable and program in the normal channels and then they finally tell me everything here went motorolla digital encrypted. Now they tell me the only way I can get it to work is if somebody else has it set up and they can clone to me. So, my question is all this true? Can this radio be cloned? Is this just a $400.00 scanner now that is obsolete?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

poppafred

Yes, the scanner can be cloned from another Pro-197. Or a Pro-500, GRE PSR-500 or PSR-600. All use the same set up.

No, it is not obsolete.

A few departments are going encrypted but not all. Just a matter of searching the RR database and finding those that are not. Most small towns and less affluent counties cannot afford encryption and some who tried it are going back to unencrypted radios. Encryption is not only more expensive but adds another layer for possible problems.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am new here and looking for advice.

My aunt has wanted a scanner and her son finally got her one. It is a Radio Shack PRO-197.
After she got it she couldn't program it. She knew I have a scanner so she asked me if I could help. I have a plain jane 200 channel scanner (PRO 2032) which works fine for me. I know nothing about this trunking thing.

First Radio shack tells me I need to buy a cable to program it and of course the antenna is too small. I get the cable and program in the normal channels and then they finally tell me everything here went motorolla digital encrypted. Now they tell me the only way I can get it to work is if somebody else has it set up and they can clone to me. So, my question is all this true? Can this radio be cloned? Is this just a $400.00 scanner now that is obsolete?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Due to the complexities and variations of the radio systems out there today, it really is wise to do some research before making a purchase.

That being said, the Pro-197 is not obsolete. If the system(s) you want to listen to are in fact encrypted, there is no scanner on the market today that will let you listen in. It is not legal to do so.

Cloning is NOT the only way to get your radio to work. It can be programed manually through the radio's menu interface.

It can be programmed using the USB to Serial cable with software programs.

The Pro-197 scanner can be cloned from another Pro-197, also from a Pro-106, a GRE PSR-500 or a GRE PSR-600 provided that those radios have the programming setup that you want already in them.

Check here for information for Oklahoma radio systems:

Oklahoma Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

And check here for all you need to know about programming your scanner:

http://marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml

Another option is to purchase a premium membership from this site and that will allow you to download systems to your scanner via the cable and whatever programing software you are using.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/RadioReference.com_Web_Service

Last edited:

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Search the net as there are some programming software that are free and good enough to get the job done. Ask for someone to help you, but it may be a little bit of a trip for you either to OKC or Tulsa area depending on who volunteers to help (myself included) you get the radio set up or show you how to do it.

Dumafach

Thanks for the replys.

I finally got the cable and the trial software and was able to get some channels programmed. I also found out that Okmulgee County Sherrif went to the digital encrypted and a few others but soon found out they couldn't get out to other counties or use the repeaters so they are still using the regular channels. At least that is what I was told anyway. All I know is I am still able to get OHP, Local police, Sherrif, EMS and airport. Thats seems plenty for me and my Aunt.

I set her Pro-197 to flash and change colors when it picks up EMS. She was thrilled by that.
I guess for now everything is okay.

I do travel to Tulsa every week though. If I run into problems maybe I could get a hold of you (Freqed).
Again thanks for the replys and patience.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I also found out that Okmulgee County Sherrif went to the digital encrypted and a few others but soon found out they couldn't get out to other counties or use the repeaters so they are still using the regular channels. At least that is what I was told anyway.

This is not technically correct and this is a technical hobby. Per the RR DB, Okmulgee Co SO is still on analog VHF.

Okmulgee PD and FD, on the other hand, have switched to MotoTRBO, a proprietary digital format not unlike the Harris' ProVoice format that OKC uses. There are no scanners that can demodulate this format at this time.

Interestingly, this also means that Okmulgee's neighboring jurisdictions are in the same position - without a proprietary MotoTRBO radio, they can't even listen to Okmulgee, let alone talk to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.