Pro-197 new to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

parmm

Premium Subscriber
I have a, new to me, Radio Shack Pro-197. Got it set up and is scanning. My local sheriff dept is "Project 25 Phase I", and I receive them very well, but I am also receiving another signal on their freq that is all garbled gobbledygook and not understandable. Have no idea what it is, but the transmissions are very long, so I am missing a good portion of the local signals. Does anyone have any idea what I am up against. Although my radio communication knowledge (ham & military, and public service) goes way back to the 1960s, this digital stuff is all new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a, new to me, Radio Shack Pro-197. Got it set up and is scanning. My local sheriff dept is "Project 25 Phase I", and I receive them very well, but I am also receiving another signal on their freq that is all garbled gobbledygook and not understandable. Have no idea what it is, but the transmissions are very long, so I am missing a good portion of the local signals. Does anyone have any idea what I am up against. Although my radio communication knowledge (ham & military, and public service) goes way back to the 1960s, this digital stuff is all new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

We don't know where you live, so we don't know what your "local" sheriff dept is. If you can let us know the State, County, and City we can look it up and see what is going on as far as frequencies and types of transmissions..

N8IAA

What you are receiving is encryption part time. What state/county/city system do you have programmed in? That will get you a better answer.
Wow, almost simultaneously. :D

parmm

Premium Subscriber
New York State - Cattaraugus County Public Safety.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

N8IAA

Then it would be VHF simulcast. I get it occasionally on P-25 conventional.
Parmm, what kind of antenna are you using? Less is better on trunking systems.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There's nothing showing in the database as far as encryption on that system,
There is a possibility that there is part time encryption and the database has not been updated to show that. The fact that you receive the sheriff well leads me to that consideration. I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the New York State forum. There may be others in your area monitoring that system who can give you a definitive answer about encryption.

tvengr

Well Known Member
My local sheriff dept is "Project 25 Phase I", and I receive them very well, but I am also receiving another signal on their freq that is all garbled gobbledygook and not understandable.
he has them in as conventional.
can anyone send him step by step to set up a trunked system ?
I overlooked that part about another signal on the same frequency. Parmm. are you using programming software? If so, which one?

parmm

Premium Subscriber
encryption part time
NYS - Cattaraugus County Public Safety, Cattaraugus County Sheriff Department.
he has them in as conventional.
can anyone send him step by step to set up a trunked system ?
I have the sheriff freqs in as Project 25 Phase I. Not really sure I got the right programing cord got a 20-546 from KJ6ZWL on ebay. I manually installed the frequencies myself, and after seeing the step by step instructions above, know that I left out some of the steps. Could not get the RR software to down load and did not get the driver update. Don't know if the CPU/DSP was ever updated. Am going to try to download the software from RR again. This old fart is really ignorant on this digital stuff!!! Will have to check out the NY State forum.
Thanks everybody. We will get it figured out somehow.

wtp

if programmed in correctly you should see numbers in the
5000 6000 8000 9000 range only.
if you see and 154 or 159 numbers you have something wrong.

N8IAA

Since you have them programmed as conventional, not trunked, the noise you're hearing is the Control Channel, also known as the CC. Until you use software to load the info into the scanner, you won't be able to follow the system.

My vote is for PSREdit500. I personally use Win500, but Don Starr has disappeared.
So, pick a programming software, and get that scanner up and running. ;)

Oh, no CPU/DSP updates needed to program the scanner.........

Status
Not open for further replies.