Pro-197 no signal?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDavid

I turned on my scanner today and it has absolutely no signal?? Ive hooked up three different attennas and nothing. tried reload freqs and nothing. what is going on?

JohnDavid

im baffled.. all my conventional freqs work well. ive updated the firmware and rewritten everything. still nothing. everything in the circuit board looks fine help!

satosi

Is the global attenuator on? If so, turn it off.
Make sure you don't have the squelch set too high;
If priority mode is on, turn it off. I have read about it causing some problems in other threads.
Make sure you set up the trunking systems correctly, refer to the manual or whichever guide you used to set them up.

mulveyr

im baffled.. all my conventional freqs work well. ive updated the firmware and rewritten everything. still nothing. everything in the circuit board looks fine help!

You've made two diametrically opposite statements; In the first post, that you have no signals whatsoever, but "all my conventional freqs work well" in this last post. Does that mean that you ARE getting conventional channels fine, but no trunked systems?

Is this a new radio, or one that you've had for a while? Has it ever worked correctly?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I see there has been a change to the Arkansas Wireless Information Network for Green County. If that is who you are trying to listen to, have you made the changes in your radio?

JohnDavid

The scanner shows just an "S" in the signal bar. Conventional freqs work fine. (I left that out in my dramatically different statement bc I only scan trunking systems) the scanner has been in my patrol car for 6 months and worked fine. I listen to the burdette tower. I've reset the scanner completely. And reprogrammed it using rr. Still nothing.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The scanner shows just an "S" in the signal bar. Conventional freqs work fine. (I left that out in my dramatically different statement bc I only scan trunking systems) the scanner has been in my patrol car for 6 months and worked fine. I listen to the burdette tower. I've reset the scanner completely. And reprogrammed it using rr. Still nothing.

Check the antenna your 197 uses in your squad? Do other officers share that car, It's possible they damaged the cable or antenna.

n9zas

cg

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the database for that system, it looks like rebanding is starting. Be sure the firmware is updated and then I would enter the system as a rebanded system. Since I am not down there I can't give specific help but after going through the CT statewide system's rebanding, it created lots of problems for scanners.

chris

JohnDavid

chris i thought you had it solved bud but still nothing.

i updated my firmware to 1.8 (mainly bc 1.9 seemed pointless)

rebanded my programming.

and put in more sites but still nothing......

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
The scanner shows just an "S" in the signal bar.

This indicates that the scanner is barely pulling a signal from the noise floor.

If you know one of the CC frequencies you think you should be hearing, hit the "Tune" button and enter just that frequency manually. What signal level does the display show now? Can you hear the CC data?

JohnDavid

ive analyzed it and it brings up the control channel, starts static, and doesnt give me the lat and long like it used to. its not getting any data from the tower at all. but its not the antenna?? what else could it be?

Highpockets

ive analyzed it and it brings up the control channel, starts static, and doesnt give me the lat and long like it used to. its not getting any data from the tower at all. but its not the antenna?? what else could it be?

Maybe you can hit Func - Scan - then Srch Key until you get to Public Safety and see if you can find a strong CC or new one if it changed. Use the up arrow key if it stops on a freq in the other bands or turn off 0 1 & 2 (push appropriate key) just search the 700-800 freq's. Can't hurt trying. :)

Last edited:

JohnDavid

i believe the mississippi country burdette tower has changed. i switched to another tower and its picking up the data. so its not the radio. how would i get updated freqs for that tower?

Highpockets

i believe the mississippi country burdette tower has changed. i switched to another tower and its picking up the data. so its not the radio. how would i get updated freqs for that tower?

Try each of these using the TUNE key (enter freq and hit enter one at a time and see if you hear the CC on one of these:

Status
Not open for further replies.