PRO-197 not receiving well - Icom is from same place

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
hello all,

a friend of mine bought a new Pro-197 not too long ago it seems... it sat on his desk with our local PD in it, he rarely used it... and eventually he called me and said he didn't want it anymore.

i live in the Saint Louis (Kirkwood) area, and I thought this was an opportunity to listen in on the riots up north in Ferguson on 155.13 - but i couldn't receive anything. I went as far as to get the large discone from Radio Shack, lash it to my chimney, and run an RG-8U cable (PL-259 adapted to BNC) to my office (50' cable). still nothing.

i can get local PD (155.25) fine, they are close, but nothing from others 5-7miles away, and nothing from the dispatcher i want to hear 15miles north of me on 155.13.

so, i thought it must be the distance... but another friend said something had to be wrong.

to test things, I had an Icom IC-208h that i hooked up to the same cable (without the adapter) and i'm hearing everything from Ferguson crystal clear.

I upgraded both CPU and DSP firmware to 2.1 and 1.4 respectively.... still nothing.

I have done a complete factory reset, and entered in the 155.13 FM frequency without a tone - NOTHING.

all the while the IC-208h is getting everything perfectly.

does anyone have ANY ideas what i'm doing wrong? i have turned the ATT on and off, i moved it away from other electronic devices, i get local PD and i get the local NWS Weather reports on 162.55 (and i think that transmitter is even farther away)... so, really - ANY ideas?

thanks in advance -

RIchard

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You could try turning on the attenuator, which might help, if you are getting overload.

The GRE made scanners are very sensitive, but are prone to overload.

Sent from Tapatalk

teufler

from Kirkwood, ytou should get Town and County, then Ladue, then Maryland Hts. You can start checking your range as you would go up north. you shoulod be able to monitor MOSWIN Weldon Springs which will give you a heads to Ferguson.

Status
Not open for further replies.