Pro-197 not responding to programming

MickAv8r

Have had a Pro-197 since it was new. I'm not new to scanners nor programming using Starrsoft products and other apps.

Trying to download from this Pro-197, I have USB cables from BluMax and clones off Amazon.

I'm using the right stereo cable, the 20-546 from Blue Max.
It does not have the mono adapter.
Its definitely plugged into the pc/if port.
The scanner is turned on and receives transmissions.
The correct COM port is selected.
Extra write time options are checked.

When I try to initiate a download, the software times out, using Win500, PSR500 and Arc500 and all exhibit the same behavior.

I've also tried cleaning the pcif jack with contact cleaner. No dice.

Before I open the scanner up and look for maybe a bad solder joint around that jack, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
How exactly did you acquire the programming software? I have the RadioShack programming cable. It came with a CD that contained the drivers as well as a demo version of ARC500. Specific instructions state to not use a mono adapter for both the PRO-106 and PRO-197.

KD9KSO

Is there a selection in the settings menu that changes the function of the jack?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have USB cables from BluMax and clones off Amazon.

When you connect the cable to the computer, does Windows device manager show a valid COM port for the cable with no errors or warnings?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've only ever used the official GRE cables when connecting to USB. And it does require the correct FTDI driver for your OS. After that, if it's recognized by Device Manager, and you have that port selected in WIN500, there shouldn't be issues. I do have a problem with one PC that can't recognize the COM port in WIN500, so I used WIN500_COM.exe instead.

The only other method I can think of (short of connecting a scope to the RX and TX of the radio) would be to connect to a compatible radio and put into CLONE mode. That would alleviate USB and the associated drivers (and the PC for that matter).

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you dont have the required drivers installed, PSREdit500 will tell you when starting the program.
In that program I use the Direct(Recommended) connection which is the default.

Look at PSR500/PSR600: - driver

Other thing is, I have had numerous times is the cable feels like its already in, but its not. Those times the cable requires a last push of very little, like another 1/64th of an inch.

See Whistler 1065 USB Download issues.

From easier to read manual -
Note: Under certain circumstances (?) the CCDump output setting may interfere with the cloning process. If you experience problems with cloning set CCDump to Off.

Do you get the windows audio when you plug it in the usb port?
Doesnt work still, use isopropyl alcohol on a qtip to clean the connector cable, might be the cable, try a different usb port, try another computer, maybe the connector is the issue, check inside if the solder connection is disconnected.

I have had two brand new WS1065's and wouldnt connect. Since it was under warranty and the radios weren't mine, I didnt open those two up. They replaced those radios and they connected perfectly.

I have the RS 20-546 cable. All I recall doing was inserting the cable and windows installed the rest. <- I think.
Maybe try rightclicking on the port and 'Uninstall Device'. Still doesnt work, do the same and check the 'delete driver software' option.
1718384446023.png

This my device manager for the port, including clicking Advanced, for which I didnt change a thing.
1718384333156.png

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Is there a selection in the settings menu that changes the function of the jack?
I have a Pro-107 with that PC/IF port and found the pins and plastic separator pretty mangled up. Seems the original owner was able to cram some incompatible USB into the hole. I would check for pin alignment. Also the cables sold on Amazon may be wired wrong.