PRO 197 on MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt8r

I purchased the 20-197 and trial ARC 500 software and cable. Programing analog frequencies are not a problem. Although I did notice the "download" from the scanner wiped out the memory bank. Should not it have just shown the contents of the memory?
The real problem is getting MARCS to work and give audio. This is a new territory for me as to programing so some laymen terms are greatlly appreciated.
Anyone who can help PLEASE!

Thanks,
Dave

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro -197

Start here
Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki
And here
Pro-197 - The RadioReference Wiki
And here
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

I purchased the 20-197 and trial ARC 500 software and cable. Programing analog frequencies are not a problem. Although I did notice the "download" from the scanner wiped out the memory bank. Should not it have just shown the contents of the memory?
The real problem is getting MARCS to work and give audio. This is a new territory for me as to programing so some laymen terms are greatlly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

DickH

... Programing analog frequencies are not a problem. ...

There is no such thing as an "analog freq.". Frequencies can have many kinds of modulation; analog, digital, AM, FM, data, etc. I'm surprised a Ham doesn't know that.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
There is no such thing as an "analog freq.". Frequencies can have many kinds of modulation; analog, digital, AM, FM, data, etc. I'm surprised a Ham doesn't know that.

Was it really necessary to chastise him for his choice of wording? It's unbelievable that you don't have better things to do.

Mike

kt8r

@Dick; yes I do know, however analog voice also is common mode on fm simplex and repeater systems.
if you have something of use, please offer it or refrain from the lid type remarks. I asked a civil question concerning MARCs programming. The question was worded at the post time.

Swipesy

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I have a PSR500 and use WIN500 and PSREdit to program the radio but the concept is the same.

When you download into the radio, the current frequencies and systems and talkgroups get replaced by the downloaded files. You should always save the current memory items to a V-Folder on the radio/PC before downloading.

What you are asking for regarding MARCS is a lengthy topic to cover here so I would suggest that you reload the V-Folder that has Ohio on it and then download the V-Folder to ARC 500. Once you have it in ARC look through the programmed systems until you find the MARCS System. That will give you an idea of how to program MARCS. Next find the MARCS tower Control Frequencies for your area and make sure they are programmed to the MARCS System in ARC. Then load that file up to your scanner. That should get you going and help you understand the programming procedure (a picture is worth a thousand words).

If you still have problems come back and ask more questions. You should post to the Ohio Forum to get more responses. All in all most Forum members will treat you with respect and not be so sarcastic as some have been to you.

Good Luck.

John

kt8r

Swipsey,
thanks for the info. will give it a shot. The cheap shots don't bother me, a quick look at the license class I have tells the story. Just never programmed a digital scanner on MARCs and was asking for basic layman instruction hoping I overlooked something.

methusaleh

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I have owned a 197 for a couple years and recently purchased my second one, and I am trying to learn all that I can. Though it's not my favorite line of scanners, I enjoy some of the featrures on my 106 and 197 that other scanners I own do not have.

Anyhow, I noticed the ARC500 software reference, which I am admittedly not familiar with. I manually program (by preference and choice) all of my scanners, and always have for the past 25 years.

However...what is MARCS? I searched the 197 manual both online as well as the hard copy, to no avail. Is it something that can only be edited with software? Is it something I want my 197 to be capable of, or to have as a feature? Obviously searching online for that acronym results in millions of hits about the man's name Marc, so that was not fruitful.

I hope I don't sound like a dummy, but this is the first time I heard that acronym. I have been a ham for about 30 years, scanner listener for about 25, worked on commo gear in both the Army and for public safety agencies, etc...not new to the hobby, just new to that terminology.

Thanks!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

Thanks,
Dave

Just remember that MARCS is not a digital system. It is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink system which uses APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive digital voice.

Enter the frequencies for Site 063 - 866.22500, 866.68750, 867.81250, 868.71250

Click Here for more information on MARCS.

Last edited:

ibagli

The entire system won't fit in a Pro-197. You'll have to pick and choose both sites and talkgroups to fit within the memory limit.

ETA: Never mind, you were talking about something else with memory being wiped out.

Swipesy

MARCS is the State of Ohio statewide system for use by subscribers, in addition to state users, for emergency services such as police, fire, hospitals, etc. So unless you live in or spend time in Ohio or just along the border of Ohio it is not of value to you. It has hundreds of talkgroups as well as towers throughout the state of Ohio. Unless you have a PSR 800, to load the entire system into a lesser scanner than the 800 or HP1 would completely fill up the scanner's memory.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The entire system won't fit in a Pro-197. You'll have to pick and choose both sites and talkgroups to fit within the memory limit.

And on that topic, I'm guessing that you're planning on monitoring from a fixed location; take a look at the database and pick the MARCS sites which are closest to your location. Program in the control channels for all of them. You're bound to hear something.

Don't bother with this at first, but as you gain experience with the radio, take a look at the Roam setting, and set it to "Stationary," which will cause the radio to monitor all sites it can hear, thus increasing your chances of hearing things worth listening to.

DickH

@Dick; yes I do know, however analog voice also is common mode on fm simplex and repeater systems.
if you have something of use, please offer it or refrain from the lid type remarks. I asked a civil question concerning MARCs programming. The question was worded at the post time.

If you read many posts here you will know that many people think that programming digital systems is a big dark mystery requiring special techniques or knowledge, which is not the case..
Your statement that analog programming is not a problem implies that digital programming IS a problem, thus perpetuating that misconception. My post was simply meant to correct any misconceptions readers might have.

kt8r

Thanks for all the info Fellas. Problem was my misunderstanding of the term "id". Now have the thing talking and it prettty much wont shut up. Thanks again!
One suggestion to all digiatl newbiews: ID means the assigned numeric number of the talkgroup. Not one of your own. DUH!

Status
Not open for further replies.