PRO 197 on sale again -- quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaSheriff

The PRO 197 is on sale again. It was $289 thru yesterday (12/17/11).

Now it is $299 thru 12/24/11.

The refurbished PRO 197 is also $299. Kinda weird, same price as new.

If I buy a new 107, how can I make sure it is new and not one of the refurbished units?

InlandAZ

I could be wrong, someone will correct me if I am - but, I seem to recall that the referbs were online only, stores didn't stock them.

n5ims

The PRO 197 is on sale again. It was $289 thru yesterday (12/17/11).

Now it is $299 thru 12/24/11.

The refurbished PRO 197 is also $299. Kinda weird, same price as new.

If I buy a new 107, how can I make sure it is new and not one of the refurbished units?

When you order it's pretty much up to you as far as getting a new or a refurbished unit since they both have different catalog numbers. A new 197 is "Model: PRO-197 | Catalog #: 20-197" while a refurb 197 is "Model: 2000197-1 | Catalog #: 20-051". If you order the 20-051 you can expect a refurb unit with the limited warranty and "refurb" white box. If you order the 20-197 you can expect a new unit with the full warranty and normal product box.

If you order the 20-197 and get something else you have every right to complain and expect a swap to what you ordered. This would be true regardless if they sent you a new Pro-193, a refurb Pro-197, or a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4G instead of the new Pro-197 that was ordered. Now if you thought you ordered the 20-197 (new Pro-197) but instead actually ordered the 20-051 (refurb Pro-197) you would be on your own and swapping for the other would need to be done per their current policy for returns on refurbished items (often the refurb return policy is different from the new return policy).

04Z1V6

I own three refurb units and never have had a problem with any of them. I think I would rather have a refurb because it seems I have never had the problems that others have had with there "new units".

methusaleh

I own three refurb units and never have had a problem with any of them. I think I would rather have a refurb because it seems I have never had the problems that others have had with there "new units".

That goes in line with something I heard a few years ago from a friend who worked in a warranty-claim electronics repair depot.

He said that the refurbs were actually much more thoroughly checked-out and tested than the brand new units are, because the company did not want to lose any more money on the same unit being shipped back for warranty repair work again. He said that given the choice, he would always purchase refurb electronics because of this.

Personally I have never purchased a refurb of anything, but have kept it in mind as an option in recent years as RS sells them direct to the consumer. But usually I just can't wait and need to have the latest toys as soon as they are released, no time to wait for refurb sales to pop up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.