PRO 197 or the Uniden 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhughes20

Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble deciding on a scanner I live in Findlay and I want a scanner that gives me everything and covers everything and I can get my money's worth. And I want to make sure if Findlay ever decides to switch back to Analog I can still use my scanner.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am having trouble deciding on a scanner I live in Findlay and I want a scanner that gives me everything and covers everything and I can get my money's worth. And I want to make sure if Findlay ever decides to switch back to Analog I can still use my scanner.

Both will work well for what you want; however, the Pro-197 has much cleaner digital audio, and since you're in a digital zone now, that would be an important consideration.

The Pro-197 is also much more flexible in programming; there are 20 scan lists per virtual folder (or "personality" if you like) and you can put any object (frequency, talkgroup, search, etc) in any, multiple or all lists if you so desire.

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
Also Consider the PSR500/600 (mobile/base) from Grecom. They make the Pro 197 and some of the other RS models. The main differences between Gre and RS is that you would be able to get firmware updates faster and the Grecom includes the Power Supply and Data Cable. You have to buy those separate at RS.

Edited to add:

My PSR500 is feeding my Hancock/Putnam Feed. I love it!

ibagli

The main differences between Gre and RS is that you would be able to get firmware updates faster and the Grecom includes the Power Supply and Data Cable. You have to buy those separate at RS.

RS includes the power supply with the Pro-197 (but not the Pro-106).

ATFD286

Premium Subscriber
Doug,
I purchased a Pro-197 last year and love it. I am not a scanner guru by any means though but I found the Pro197 to be very user friendly. The programming was also fairly simple using the ARC500 software. I too live in Findlay and just recently reprogrammed mine to listen to the secret police.

Status
Not open for further replies.