pro 197 p25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmowin

pro 197 used as base scanner hooked to roof top antenna york co p25 system. seems to not be decoding p25 well. was working fine up till about 2 months ago. can some one tell me what my settings should be i am using win 500 and down loaded from RR to program to scanner. my other scanners are working fine. i know some garble now and then is normal. but i am getting a lot. should i be set to custom table and should i be on roam or stationary, thanks

w2xq

Mentor
I don't know about York, but very occasionally my -106 does odd things. Since you have a Win500 file, why not try manually resetting the scanner and its memories, then connect Win500 and reload from scratch? HTH.

jimsmowin

i have re-programed several times trying different settings, my 106 seems to work just fine. i just wanted to double check where my settings should be at.

w2xq

Mentor
Resetting and reprogramming are two different things. A reset should clear out RAM and reset the scanner to defaults. Over the years virtually every radio, amateur or scanner, I have owned has at one time or another benefited by getting the bits reset. :)
You can also reset the -197 and clone from the -106.

jimsmowin

i have looked at a lot of different things, i am only having this promblem with this scanner the other 3 work just fine. thought about only putting two towers in or some varation of. thanks for every one's input

jimsmowin

no i am about 20 miles south of there. but that is some what of what i am getting, funny thing is he is on dauphin co. and when i pass through there with my 2096 it works a lot better than what his sounded like. i think its some times about having everything set to the proper settings. which i am still trying to confirm

w2xq

Mentor
okay i will give it a try, how would you recomend i clear the scanner

Assuming the -106 and -197 manual is essentially the same, look up "Power-On Configuration" in the index. It is pg 86 in the -106. It is just a few keypresses. The whole process of resetting the -197 and reloading the Win500 file should take less than 2-3 minutes. Or just clone the -197 from the -106. HTH.

vinzep491

You said your 106 works fine and its just with the 197.

By chance, were you using the rubber ducky with the 106 when it functioned, and the rooftop for the 197?

Does it garble on the 106 when you try it with the rooftop? If so, simulcast distortion sounds right since you're recieving more signals from the roof.

jimsmowin

thats correct, i was wondering if i have [too much antenna] on the 197. when we were on low band analog i was using the rooftop as well so all i did was set new 197 in place of old and hook up antenna. i will try the 106 on the roof top antenna later tonight.

jimsmowin

i have not tried the swap. what i have found is that by reading the [easier to read manual] that some of my thresholds were changed and some other settings. i believe i have them now about where they should be. by watching the signal strength meter on the program, i seem to be getting my garble on the weaker signals, which may be too much antenna and is recieving weak signals fom further away towers. i have been at this for hours. time for a break, thanks for your replies

w2xq

Mentor
Just for grins, Jim, what I did was make up and save a empty file and with some of the tweaked settings as recommended by the easier-to-read manuals. I use that file as the basis to build new files. Did'ja try the reset thingie yet?

jimsmowin

i also did about the same thing made a new one and played with settings. i have made a lot of headway. seems to be working a lot better now. the garble is on all the weaker signals. again, maybe too much antenna, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.