PRO 197 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Can someone post a link to somewhere I can buy a 13.8 VDC adapter with the correct plug to fit a Radio Shack PRO 197. Mine is breaking (bare wires) at the beginning of the wire where it comes out of the wall wart. I cannot fix it, and I don't want to simply put electrical tape as I fear fire. Thanks in advance!
-Dave

FPOWLD

PRO197 Power supply

Can someone post a link to somewhere I can buy a 13.8 VDC adapter with the correct plug to fit a Radio Shack PRO 197. Mine is breaking (bare wires) at the beginning of the wire where it comes out of the wall wart. I cannot fix it, and I don't want to simply put electrical tape as I fear fire. Thanks in advance!
-Dave

I have a DC Cable that has never been used. If interested.PM me. I don't know what you mean when you say " wall wart", that is different from the AC Wall wart adapter.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
A DC cord won't help, the wires are exposed right where they come out of the transformer (wall wart). I put some tape on it for now, but I do not want to leave it long term like this. Thanks!
I will try Whistler's website.

Nasby

-Dave

EBAY has lots of them

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I would if I was you, use some electrical tape wrap around it if its only one of the wires or use a utility knife to gently cut and separate the strain relief if the wires show that far up. Either way if its not that far up or if it is that far up, separate and pull apart sideways a little bit of each positive-negative wire and wrap each one individually. Then wrap with electrical tape that portion. Ive had to do this before, more so on the cigarette light power adapters, works, it cheap and your power supply you say does work already.

Whistler WS1065 is the radio shack version of the pro 652 which is the same, minus the firmware of your pro 197.
https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...cts/ac-adapter-for-ws1065-ws1095-ws1098-trx-2

or on ebay, Wall AC adapter FOR Radio Shack PRO-197 | eBay

trp2525

Can someone post a link to somewhere I can buy a 13.8 VDC adapter with the correct plug to fit a Radio Shack PRO 197...

According to the owner's manual for the PRO-197 (page 19) you need a 12-volt power supply that delivers at least 600 mA. It also states that the center tip of the connector must be set to positive.

Your best bet would probably be to purchase the equivalent adapter from Whistler for $14.95 (plus shipping) as has already been suggested above. You could purchase the proper adapter from Radio Shack but all I see on their website is a universal adapter #2731121 (https://www.radioshack.com/products...-to-dc-high-power-adapter?variant=20331035525) that supplies 3, 5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12 or 15 volts at 1000 mA and the price is $19.99. You would also need Adaptaplug T #2731061 (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-adaptaplug-t?variant=20331678085) and the price is $6.99. At one time Radio Shack would give you one free Adaptaplug if you purchased one of their AC adapters. I don't know if that is still the case with the "new" Radio Shack.

The problem with using the universal adapter from Radio Shack is that you would have to make sure that the adapter's front voltage switch is always set for 12 volts and that the T Adaptaplug is always connected to make the center tip of the plug positive. If either of those settings accidentally change you run the risk of causing damage to your scanner by either reverse polarity or under/over voltage.

StereoScout

The fastest and easiest way I have found to find replacement AC adapters for any of my electronic equipment is to simply go to either eBay or Amazon and type in "AC Adapter" followed by the make and model number. I prefer eBay simply because many sellers will ship it for free.

trp2525

The fastest and easiest way I have found to find replacement AC adapters for any of my electronic equipment is to simply go to either eBay or Amazon and type in "AC Adapter" followed by the make and model number...

You have to be careful when purchasing an AC adapter online especially when the specs of the adapter are not listed anywhere. For example there is a "Made In China" AC adapter being advertised on eBay right now specifically for the Radio Shack PRO-197 scanner for $12.94 (Wall AC adapter FOR Radio Shack PRO-197 Receiver Scanner | eBay). Nowhere is the output voltage, output current or polarity of the center conductor of the connector listed.

You might get lucky that the seller correctly listed the adapter for your device and the adapter may work OK with your device. If there are no specs listed (as in my example above) you really need to test the adapter for proper voltage, current and polarity with a test meter before hooking it up to your device. If you don't, you run the risk of causing permanent damage to your equipment with reverse polarity, under/over voltage or less than the required current to run the device.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the answers and reply! The repair cannot be made, it is right where it exits the transformer where the plastic coating is. I just ordered off Whistler's website, $20 with shipping is fine by me.

Redneck0410

Thanks everyone for the answers and reply! The repair cannot be made, it is right where it exits the transformer where the plastic coating is. I just ordered off Whistler's website, $20 with shipping is fine by me.
I bought that one I linked for my Pro-652 a year and a half ago and it's still going strong... 24/7 use since purchased.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AC9BX

Thanks everyone for the answers and reply! The repair cannot be made, it is right where it exits the transformer where the plastic coating is.

Actually it can be done but as you have probably guessed it requires cracking open the case or at least cutting into it where the wire exits. Unless you want to try that you've done the right thing, just buy a replacement. That's a weak spot, common failure. They changed the strain relief on newer ones.

sjsharksfan

Premium Subscriber
It seems that radio shack shipped out pro-197s with defective power supplies. It seems that at least 90% of the power cords become exposed right at the worst spot possible. hmm..
Gotta look for a good replacement like everyone else I guess.. :/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
-Dave

NEW*OEM Radio Shack GRE GRECOM Whistler Scanner Power Supply Plug Adapter PRO197

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ra...463799&hash=item2824db8070:g:5qUAAOSw~OdVeH45

Ebay also list generics for less.

trp2525

NEW*OEM Radio Shack GRE GRECOM Whistler Scanner Power Supply Plug Adapter PRO197

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ra...463799&hash=item2824db8070:g:5qUAAOSw~OdVeH45...

The price of that linked OEM PRO-197 AC adapter on eBay is $29.99. It would be more economical to purchase the genuine Whistler AC adapter (Part # S-ACA1065) directly from Whistler for $14.95: https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...cts/ac-adapter-for-ws1065-ws1095-ws1098-trx-2

BTW that same Whistler adapter is good for the Whistler WS1065, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-2, Radio Shack PRO-197, PRO-652 and the GRE PSR-600.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
You have to be careful when purchasing an AC adapter online especially when the specs of the adapter are not listed anywhere. For example there is a "Made In China" AC adapter being advertised on eBay right now specifically for the Radio Shack PRO-197 scanner for $12.94 (Wall AC adapter FOR Radio Shack PRO-197 Receiver Scanner | eBay). Nowhere is the output voltage, output current or polarity of the center conductor of the connector listed.

You might get lucky that the seller correctly listed the adapter for your device and the adapter may work OK with your device. If there are no specs listed (as in my example above) you really need to test the adapter for proper voltage, current and polarity with a test meter before hooking it up to your device. If you don't, you run the risk of causing permanent damage to your equipment with reverse polarity, under/over voltage or less than the required current to run the device.

They intentionally don't list the specs on these, per instructions from the suppliers. They even blur the numbers out in pictures, per instructions from the supplier. I don't know why, but this is the case as I have checked on this several times. Bottom line, if you just ask the seller, they will verify the specs. I've bought several off of ebay and they work well. I always throw them on my Fluke just to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do before using, but so far they have all been on the money. My advice is buy a generic adapter off of ebay, just ask for the specs first, and then verify before plugging in. I REFUSE to pay the $30+ that is charged for some scanner adapters (I buy / sell / collect older scanners). A replacement adapter that works just fine can be had in the $10-$13 range for any scanner out there, new or old.

I have mint condition / hard to find / collectible scanners plugged into these cheap power supplies without worry.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The price of that linked OEM PRO-197 AC adapter on eBay is $29.99. It would be more economical to purchase the genuine Whistler AC adapter (Part # S-ACA1065) directly from Whistler for $14.95: https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...cts/ac-adapter-for-ws1065-ws1095-ws1098-trx-2

BTW that same Whistler adapter is good for the Whistler WS1065, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-2, Radio Shack PRO-197, PRO-652 and the GRE PSR-600.

I agree. That's why at the end of my post I also said: 'Ebay also list generics for less.'

Status
Not open for further replies.