PRO 197 programming from rr

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmac139

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed my scanner using Radio reference. It sucessfully downloads the data, shows the scan lists, and the name of the agency. but the "T" trunk system never come on and although the signal indicator shows that I am receiving no sound is coming from the scanner and it never locks on a frequency. Across the top of the display it is showing G global, S signal, and that is all. What am I doing wrong? I live in Bibb Co, GA.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
More Information Needed

I have programmed my scanner using Radio reference. It sucessfully downloads the data, shows the scan lists, and the name of the agency. but the "T" trunk system never come on and although the signal indicator shows that I am receiving no sound is coming from the scanner and it never locks on a frequency. Across the top of the display it is showing G global, S signal, and that is all. What am I doing wrong? I live in Bibb Co, GA.

I have the portable version of your radio, a GRE PSR 500. Please, tell me what software program you are using. Also, I would like to know which system you are trying to program.

jmac139

Premium Subscriber
GRE/RS 500 object programmer. I Guess is that what you mean? new to scanners. I need Bibb Co Ga SO, Macon PD

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Programming Digital Scanner

GRE/RS 500 object programmer. I Guess is that what you mean? new to scanners. I need Bibb Co Ga SO, Macon PD

First of all, we have the same radio; however, the software that came with your radio is not the software needed for programming it.

In my opinion, I believe Win500 is the friendliest software for programming this radio. Yes, you can program this radio through the rather narrow viewing screen that comes with manual programming, but you won't be able to see the bigger picture of how things are arranged inside your radio.

Win500 allows you to expand you view of what is actually programmed. If you decide to manually program your radio, here is a video to help. Although this video shows someone programming a Radio Shack Pro106, it is the exact same chassis as the PSR 500.

How To Program the PRO-106 Digital Trunking Scanner - YouTube

I have looked at the various "conventional" and "trunking" listings for your county. Luckily, you aren't faced with programming a large P25 trunking system that is shown in this video.

If you downloaded the information, you need to have two main things for trunking to work: a) a TSYS or trunking framework; b) the associated talk groups or channels associated with each system.

On the follow page, you will see both "conventional" frequencies at the top of the page and various trunking system at the bottom:

Bibb County, Georgia (GA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

When you click on the Macon-Bibb county trunking system, you have "system frequencies" at the top and the associated talk groups below. Both of these need to be entered into your radio.

So, please, tell me whether you are wanting to manually program this system or use Win500 or other programming software. I am assuming you have programmed the provided USB cable to function as a conduit between PC and radio.

Here is an easier programming manual for your radio. Please, review the video and browse over some of the information here:

Here is the easier guide:

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Here is a view of what the programming software looks like. On item 8, you can see how there are trunking systems at the top with associated channels or talk groups below. This is a detailed example of how to program using software.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

PS: How did you program your radio via download?

Last edited:

jmac139

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ensnared for your time and for reply. If it were not for folks like you folks like me would remain ignorant.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Win500 Preference

Thanks Ensnared for your time and for reply. If it were not for folks like you folks like me would remain ignorant.

You certainly welcome although I wish I could have helped you more.

As I indicated, ARC 500 is not for me. I am a visual learner & my mind thinks in terms of visualization. Hence, I prefer seeing everything at once when I program.

This is why I prefer using Win500. To me, it is infinitely easier to use. Why? When I tap on my TSYS, I can immediately see all of the Talk Groups associated with the radio system.

I found ACR 500 to be very confusing in this way. I am not trying to get you to order the other, but the Utah example I listed above will show you what I'm talking about. When I can see everything I am altering, I can better determine where I messed up.

I hope you get it working. It took me well over one month to learn to program my PSR500 thanks to the one-on-one help I received from a GRE representative. If it hadn't been for him, I would have given up a long time ago. This is why I will always buy GRE, not RS.

In retrospect, I am surprised about how confused I was at the beginning. Now, I see the simplicity in design.

Highpockets

I also think if you give Win500 a try (30 day free trail) and follow the Guide that was linked in one of the above messages, you may have better luck. I also found it easier to use then ARC.

jmac139

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help with ARC 500? I have followed all the steps but can't get the scanner to recognize trunk systems. I think it might be a setting in the scanner although I have reset everything to factory defaults using 0 and 1 on power up. the data is there, the scanner is just not reading it. What am I doing wrong. If I take the scanner back to Radio Shack and have them clone it off another scanner, it works. But they are in another county. Any one have any ideas?

RomeRon

Can anyone help with ARC 500? I have followed all the steps but can't get the scanner to recognize trunk systems. I think it might be a setting in the scanner although I have reset everything to factory defaults using 0 and 1 on power up. the data is there, the scanner is just not reading it. What am I doing wrong. If I take the scanner back to Radio Shack and have them clone it off another scanner, it works. But they are in another county. Any one have any ideas?

Try this file, Scan List 2 is conventional and Scan List 3 is Bibb trunked

Attachments

• bibb.zip
    2 KB · Views: 75

jmac139

Premium Subscriber
RomeRon,
What program opens this file and how do I download it to the scanner?

RomeRon

RomeRon,
What program opens this file and how do I download it to the scanner?

I use WinZip, You have to unzip it, do it to your desktop then you will have bibb.gr5, open ARC500 then click open icon top left and click bibb.gr5, then upload to scanner.

Last edited:

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
i use what came with the Rs scanner just trail and error its still hard too understand but its how i leran would have learned linux if i didnt do it by trail and error been running it since late 2002 read mes are a bigh help or goto youtube and find out thru there as well i usally just use the RR too import too my programm then upload what i want too the scanner

poppafred

Your problem is the "G", global. That means global attenuatiion is turned "on". You need to turn it off so the scanner can hear weaker signals.

Attenuation is a way to decrease the strength of signals coming into the radio. For some reason, the Pro197 defaults with it on sometimes and that is like putting on ear protectors, it makes you a little deaf.

Last edited:

mlmummert

Actually G by itself means the Global attenuation is set to OFF for everything. If it was GA then it would be ON globally. If the G isn't lit at all, then the attenuation settings for each channel apply, no global settings would apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
"G" versis "GA"

Your problem is the "G", global. That means global attenuatiion is turned "on". You need to turn it off so the scanner can hear weaker signals.

Attenuation is a way to decrease the strength of signals coming into the radio. For some reason, the Pro197 defaults with it on sometimes and that is like putting on ear protectors, it makes you a little deaf.

According to the "Easier To Use Guide", GA appears when global attenuation is on for all objects/searches.

From what I understand, the "G" alone does not indicated global attenuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.