pro-197: programming T groups and control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

how2fish

If I understand the directions correctly of my pro-197, when programming the Apco25 trunk system, you only enter the main and alternate control channels...not the actual freqs that are used to transmit voice.

Yet I am not certain how to enter in the group ID (TGID). I am doing this manually since we don't have enough traffic yet to just find it.

When I go to this link Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies

in order to program in the SW12 (Modoc site: 131; hex: 83), if you scroll down the above link you will find southwest 12 with the different groups, Fire, EMS etc..

Each has its own "hex". Do I use that? I have tried but it seems that there needs to be more. Do I combine both "hex" from the site and the specific talk group? Perhaps I should not use the "HEX" numbers?

Thanks

Howard

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

how2fish

talk groups

OK, I have used the "deci" number instead, and that seems to work fine.

However, I have discovered something. I am now picking up Garden City's traffic when I have wildcard setup to pick up any traffic on our talk group system. The problem is that even though Garden City is a part of the southwest 12 system as grouped by the State of Kansas (they have a tower site 130 where mine is Scott County at Modoc 131), they have a different antenna site. Therefore their "talk group" radio traffic is under a different control frequency (I assumed a different T-system). How am I able to get their traffic? Is this what the roaming provides? Does the computer "just know"?

If this is the case, then I only need to enter in one control frequency per part of the State? Such as entering any site that is a part of Southwest 11 would get me all sites under that system?

Perhaps it would be better to say that T-Systems are all sites that are programmed together and roaming allows you to go from area to area under the same system?

Howard

N1BHH

The scanner is doing exactly what it's supposed to do with a wildcard, it picks up talk groups that aren't already programmed.

Many times tower sites are simulcast so you may pick up from adjacent sites, this is normal.

Enter any and all control channels shown for any listing, the radio will know what to do.

Roaming allows you to program all the systems control channels such as the Massachusetts statewide system for instance, because the SysID is the same, you can drive all over the state and pick up whatever traffic is from the zone you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.