Pro 197 Radio Shack Software Help -- Missing USB Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
Wow...lots of q's on the 197. Well, here's another one, only it has to do with the software from RS.

I downloaded it off radioreference.com/radioshack, and the software is fine. I hook up the scanner to the computer using this cable: RadioShack® USB-PC Scanner Programming Cable - RadioShack.com

The software won't change the freq in the scanner. It shows I have no freq in the scanner, which isn't true.

After some troubleshooting, I realized I do not have the smaller cable pictured in the link above. I don't know if this cable was included or if I just lost it. The cable looks like an adapter of some kind (i'm still new to this, as you can tell lol). Could the adapter solve my problem? What is it called and how can I buy another one?

Thanks! :)

EDIT TO ADD: My computer is a Dell Inspiron, Windows 7, 64-bit OS. As of now, I am only using the free trial version of the RS software. Didn't know if you needed this info to help...

Last edited:

RomeRon

I think you get 2 free downloads with the software that came with the 197, better make the 2nd one work or you will need a Premium Subscription from RR to be able to download from their site using software.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
You don't need the small cable, is your software WIN500 or ARC500.

Neither...just the Radio Shack sofware dowload from the first site I mentioned in the op.

I think you get 2 free downloads with the software that came with the 197, better make the 2nd one work or you will need a Premium Subscription from RR to be able to download from their site using software.

I haven't tried to download off RR yet...I first just want to make sure I can hook-up the scanner to the computer. When I try to do that and view the freq already on my scanner, I can't.

RomeRon

Neither...just the Radio Shack sofware dowload from the first site I mentioned in the op.

I haven't tried to download off RR yet...I first just want to make sure I can hook-up the scanner to the computer. When I try to do that and view the freq already on my scanner, I can't.

What frequencies are you talking about if you haven't downloaded any freqs yet, If it's a new scanner, the only thing I can think that would be in it would V Scanner folders, is that what you are talking about?

RomeRon

Let me see if I got it right this time, you want to know if the cable will work with the scanner, Yes it will.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are you talking about if you haven't downloaded any freqs yet, If it's a new scanner, the only thing I can think that would be in it would V Scanner folders, is that what you are talking about?

Sorry for the confusion. I manually downloaded some conventional frequencies on my scanner a few months ago. I've been told the Rado Shack software is much easier, so I'm trying to use that. The frequencies I already downloaded are not showing up in my software window on my computer.

From the manual of the USB cable, it says: "These scanners use the cable without the adapter: 20-501, 20-524, 20-426 and many Uniden brand scanners." Since I have a 197, could that mean I do need the adapter?

"Includes an adapter to program both mono jack (PC/IF) and stereo jack scanners" --> I guess this means an adapter was included and I just lost it?

Sorry for the confusion and all the questions...I am just new at this stuff and figuring it out as I type, lol

RomeRon

Sorry for the confusion. I manually downloaded some conventional frequencies on my scanner a few months ago. I've been told the Rado Shack software is much easier, so I'm trying to use that. The frequencies I already downloaded are not showing up in my software window on my computer.

From the manual of the USB cable, it says: "These scanners use the cable without the adapter: 20-501, 20-524, 20-426 and many Uniden brand scanners." Since I have a 197, could that mean I do need the adapter?

"Includes an adapter to program both mono jack (PC/IF) and stereo jack scanners" --> I guess this means an adapter was included and I just lost it?

Sorry for the confusion and all the questions...I am just new at this stuff and figuring it out as I type, lol

You don't need the short cable, to program the 197. I sent you a PM.

N8IAA

When you click on the icon for the software, does it say Arc500, or Win500. Give us a link to the software download at RS. Do you have the cable plugged into the PC/IF jack on the front of the scanner? When you upload to the scanner, do you see a box come up in the software showing the progress of the transfer? You need to let us know for us to help.
HTH,
Larry

N8IAA

You are running Butel programming software. Most likely Arc500. Can't help you there. But, as I understand, RR only allows two imports with trial software.
Larry

RomeRon

Edited to add: the first picture should be of the Scanner Icon, it put it on the bottom for some reason.
Put the CD in, click SetUp, once installed you will have an Icon on your desktop see picture 1.
Click click on it, at the next screen chose PRO-197 then click Start Software, the ARC500 software will load. STOP here, because you only get one free download from RR, when you get to this point we will help you do the download to the software and then to the scanner, Note: I think it said you have one week to use this for the one download from RR.
I hope I got all my ducks in a row on this one.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 791
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 900
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
When you click on the icon for the software, does it say Arc500, or Win500. Give us a link to the software download at RS. Do you have the cable plugged into the PC/IF jack on the front of the scanner? When you upload to the scanner, do you see a box come up in the software showing the progress of the transfer? You need to let us know for us to help.
HTH,
Larry

Omg...I can't believe how stupid I was. I had the usb plugged in the back of the scanner for "external speaker." As soon as I plggued it into PC/IF, it worked fine. I can edit my freq with the software. I'll try one of my free downloads from RR later. Thank you!!!

Put the CD in, click SetUp, once installed you will have an Icon on your desktop see picture 1.
Click click on it, at the next screen chose PRO-197 then click Start Software, the ARC500 software will load. STOP here, because you only get one free download from RR, when you get to this point we will help you do the download to the software and then to the scanner, Note: I think it said you have one week to use this for the one download from RR.
I hope I got all my ducks in a row on this one.

Thank you thank you thank you Ron....you have been a HUGE help to me. People like you and N8IAA are what makes this forum great. As I said above, I am able to edit my freq that I entered manually using the software. I am seeing the screens you attacthed. I'll hold off on downloading from RR like you said...

Thank you again.

(To answer your earlier question, I am in Ohio, Cuyahoga County, City of Westlake. I am already scanning some of these freq. listed here: Westshore Region Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Last edited:

N8IAA

Glad you got it running. Getting a bit of snow up there? Used to call Cleveland home. Lived on the westside most all of my life until being a GA transplant in 1999.
Larry

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it running. Getting a bit of snow up there? Used to call Cleveland home. Lived on the westside most all of my life until being a GA transplant in 1999.
Larry

Yeah...we got a few inches. Had it coming, I guess lol.

Final update: I bought a premium subscription to RR and downloaded from that database. I can't believe how easy that was! Much easier then programming it manually, Money well spent.

Again, thanks to everybody for the help!!!

RomeRon

Thanks to Larry for getting you going. Looking back, it seems more like I was ranting instead of helping, glad you got it going.

AC2OY

I did the same thing thank God Highpockets rescued me....I too struggle with all this new technology but once you get up and running these new scanners work well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.