PRO-197 RX not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbouch

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-197 i have had it it since August 09. WAS VERY happy with scanner until the last month or so. The RX seems to be less than good. The trunked groups seem to be very garbled. I haven't changed any of the settings on my end. I have added a few new talk groups to current systems. I have gone to the extent of trying to reload old programs i had saved but still the same thing. ANY IDEAS?

Ron

N8IAA

I have a PRO-197 i have had it it since August 09. WAS VERY happy with scanner until the last month or so. The RX seems to be less than good. The trunked groups seem to be very garbled. I haven't changed any of the settings on my end. I have added a few new talk groups to current systems. I have gone to the extent of trying to reload old programs i had saved but still the same thing. ANY IDEAS? Ron

Ron, are you monitoring the Carlise Borough system, or the county system? Is it possible that Carlisle went digital and encrypted? Maybe ask in the PA forum.
Larry

rbouch

Premium Subscriber
Larry,
I am actually trying to monitor York and Dauphin County. Carlisle is working fine for me

N8IAA

Larry, I am actually trying to monitor York and Dauphin County. Carlisle is working fine for me

Ron, The garbled sounds you are getting on the Dauphin system is due to all of the encrypted TG's. There are only 5 TGID's that are in the clear on PD. All FD is in the clear, and EMS has only one. These are all dispatch channels. All of the interop TG's are in the clear, but those are only used when there is interagency stuff going on.
For York county, you will need to pick the strongest of the CC groups and program all of the frequencies. The problem is that it is a multisite which has been giving fits to all digital scanners since their inception. All of the TGID's are in the clear for York. You didn't say how you were programming the scanner. I suggest getting the free download of Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners Win500 is the one to download.
HTH,
Larry

rbouch

Premium Subscriber
I really haven't had a problem with the York system up until about a month or so ago. The Dauphin thing is really pissing me off it appears that i may have an actual problem with the scanner. I have a PRO-106 and PRO-197 the mobile is the one i am having a problem. the 106 is picking up things that the mobile will not. guess i have to get it looked at by Radio Shack. is still under warranty

rbouch

Premium Subscriber
also forgot to post this i am using WIN500 with the latest verson. the problem appeared to start after the last upgrade with WIN500. i am going to go back and put in an old load with old software and see how it acts. i used to actually use an 800 disguise ant. before anyone flakes out it used to work GREAT. i could hear carlisle pd and the UHF stuff worked wonderful I could hear the york system with a problem at the square in carlisle. i could even hear 33.90 after i crossed south over reeser summit. i could also hear 46.06 after i came north on 83 over reesers. i have tried multiple things but i looks like the mobile scanner is the problem. I have loaded the portable and the mobile with the same loads and they act differently. but i now am not getting anything out of the dauphin system. This digital system crap is really being a pain in the ass.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.