PRO-197 scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiofoamer

This may be a dumb question, I have an old radio shack pro 197 scanner that I just recently dusted off and started using again. I was programming new trunking systems into it, so I checked out my county’s brand new trunking system which is p25 phase 1. How ever every single frequency has the letter C at the end of it. I was wondering, do I program it with the letter in the frequency (if so how do I do it?) do I just iqnore the letter, do I substitute the letter with a number? Or is this talkgroup just, Un programmable. Again this may be a really stupid question, but I haven’t messed with scanners is a few years now and I’m a bit rusty.

Last edited:
Control Channel

This may be a dumb question, I have an old radio shack pro 197 scanner that I just recently dusted off and started using again. I was programming new trunking systems into it, so I checked out my county’s brand new trunking system which is p25 phase 1. How ever every single frequency has the letter C at the end of it. .

The "C" just means it is a control channel.

The "C" isn't meant to be entered.

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Trunking_Programming_Questions

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Are you using programming software to load up your scanner? If so, it will do all of that for you and you won't have to worry about much. If you're just entering frequencies manually then no, you don't put in anything other than the frequency numbers.

RDGDigital

doctordialtone & AuntEnvy have already answered your question. However, I just want to make you aware that the PRO-197 may not be able to monitor much in your area. Your profile says you're in Piscataway, NJ. According to the Database, Piscataway Township is on a Project 25, Phase I system, but the entire system is encrypted. No scanner can monitor an encrypted system. If you're referring to the Middlesex County system, that is a Project 25 Phase II system, which the PRO-197 can not monitor.

I'm no longer living in NJ, so I'm not up to date with all the changes, so you may want to ask further question in the New Jersey forum further down on the front page of this forum.

Sorry if I'm bringing you bad news. I hope that it does help you to understand, and save you some effort trying to make the PRO-197 scanner work.

Status
Not open for further replies.