Pro-197 site selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbonomo

Premium Subscriber
I've spent hours today playing with the Pro96Com decoding software andrrying I relate that to how my Pro-197 and Win500 software really work.n that said, I realize that there could be a few variables involved in the questions I ask.

I have the same DTRS system loaded several times in the Pro-197, once for each geographic area I want to monitor. It seems like this is a bit redundant, but it leads into some of the questions I want to ask.

For each group of agencies I want to monitor I have created a TSYS with the appropriate TGIDs in different scanlists. For each TSYS (keeping in mind they are in the same DTRS) I have loaded sites that are within my listening range and relevant to the TSYS of interest.

Does the radio truly scan each of the CCs I have loaded into the TSYS or does it commit to the first CC that receives a signal?

The radio doesn't seem to be choosing the 'best' or closest CC.

Is there a way to identify which site a particular TSYS or TGID is using?

Can I load the sites in a way to predict the best reception of that TSYS?

Thanks!

I can answer the control channel. All the control channels you have programmed are scanned. Control channels can switch on a daily basis. You see what control channel is being used that day by setting your scanner to show the control channel. For Example CC01 868.98750, then it will flash to the voice channel. If it switches to another control channel lets say the second one it will show this for example
CC02 868.2250, so yes it does scan the control channels. One of the systems I monitor here Michigan rotate the control channel, this all done by computer sort of speak they usually change after midnight. So it is electronically done basically you could say.

Last edited:

bbonomo

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense. Regarding multiple sites, does the scanner also scan through the rest of the sites programmed for that TSYS or does it just hang on the first site programmed?

It seems that the scanner just hangs on the first programmed site, whether it's the 'best' or not in terms of signal quality.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the CC list set to "Stationary" or "Roam"? I believe that will make a difference.

bbonomo

Premium Subscriber
I'm playing with the Stationary / Roam setting and found an option that enables every CC to be scanned. I haven't listened long enough to determine whether or not that has had an impact. My concern is that it's still going to hang up on the less-than-optimal site that is programmed ahead of the closer sites.

This has become more of an experiment than anything at this point. The smart thing for me to do would be to reprogram the system for only the closest sites, with the closest site programmed first, as I think this seems to have an impact.

rwier

bbonomo;1716958................................ to reprogram the system for only the closest sites said:
You are getting close. The closest site is not always the strongest. I know this is a RS Forum, but if your second scanner is a HP-1 (E), you can test each site (for any specific TG), pick the winner, remove, turnoff, etc., the losers. No guess work. You will also know right away if you are getting enough signal at the radio to actually listen to a trunked, simulcast, multi-site system.

Rob

W6KRU

You are getting close. The closest site is not always the strongest. I know this is a RS Forum, but if your second scanner is a HP-1 (E), you can test each site (for any specific TG), pick the winner, remove, turnoff, etc., the losers. No guess work. You will also know right away if you are getting enough signal at the radio to actually listen to a trunked, simulcast, multi-site system.

Rob

The same thing can be done with a PRO106/197 or a PSR500/600. There is nothing magic about the HP for reading RSSI from sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.