PRO 197 smartzone scan issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Im scanning the South Dakota digital system, (smartzone type II). In one city I can receive all traffic with no problem, but while im in a different city in the southern part of the state I can hear nothing. I can almost see the nearest tower site from my apartment, and scan 3 other towers that are close. Sometimes I see a talkgroup come up on the scanner, but hear no audio with it. BUT I know that there is traffic there because I hear it online. Im baffled, cant think of anything, any help would be great.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Do you have the control channel(s) for the other tower loaded into the TSYS? Are you trying to scan you home-area talkgroups in the other area?

Smartzone only carries traffic for any talkgroup on towers where there is an authorized subscriber of that talkgroup affiliated with that tower and talkgroup. Meaning, that if you are in the southeast part of the state, and trying to listen to a talkgroup that is only used in the northwest, it will probably not work. (If someone in your area has their radio tuned to that talkgroup, and the talkgroup is authorized on that tower, then your scanner will be able to hear it.)

SCPD

QRT
I have all the control channels loaded into the TSYS, and all the talkgroups are local....I think that it is an issue with the local site. When I am north and near a different site I have no problem and can hear all local traffic. Its odd.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You have made sure that the control channels, including alternates, are current? They can change, on occasion.

Have you tried scanning just the output freqs on that tower? (You will hear traffic, but not be following the conversations.)

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
The smartzones should be all split up like, south zone / north zone / southwest zone / and so on.

are you just adding all the north zone / south zone / central zone or more zones and then just making one zone, on your scanner.

on my smart zone, I start a new system for (each zone) and it works perfectly fine, but I'm no expert

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have them all on roam, and I have them split up into geographic areas.. but i think that it is an issue with my local site. When in a different area near different sites it works just fine. Im wondering if the control channels or else wise were changed in the past month or something of the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.