Pro-197 squelch issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
I was just given a Pro-197 from a coworker today, and upon getting something programmed and downloaded real quick, it was immediately having a problem on VHF. Its as if the squelch is not working. I got to the point where I had the attenuator on, no antenna plugged in and it would still have an "open squelch" on most anything VHF. I have a couple digital trunked systems programmed it will receive those seemingly OK. I've never ran into something like this. All other radios are working fine in the shack. I have another 197 in my mobile and it does not have the same issue, so it seems to be something with this radio. Has anyone seen or heard of anything such as this?

Has anyone seen or heard of anything such as this?
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
No, I hadn't. I made an attempt at a search of the forums, but apparently I didn't do something right. May I ask how you did the search?

The first thread seems more up the alley of what I am dealing with. The radio was given to me and the story goes that it sat in his parents closet for some time. That thread was exactly the kind of thing I was after, just didn't search well enough, thank you for posting that.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
I broke the radio down, pulled the board with the vol/squelch and inspected it. No obvious signs of cold joints on visual inspection, probed them with a small pick and didn't seem to find any mechanical issues either. I sprayed the pot assembly with a few hits of deoxit, worked the knobs quit a bit. I also re-flowed each pin for the volume and squelch on the circuit board, reassembled and tested, the radio now has a proper functioning squelch.

I guess what threw me off was the squelch failing "open". Having never ran into this, it never really occurred to me that a symptom like open squelch would be a faulty pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.