Pro 197 static on select Conventional Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickson2319

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else had a problem with getting static from conventional frequencies on the pro 197? Any suggestions as to how to alleviate the static?

So far I have tried tweaking the squelch, moving the radio, and editing the settings for the static channels, but some of my local channels are still pure nonlistenable static while the others sound normal.

My previous analog scanner was a Uniden desktop (don't remember model), which didn't have any problems picking up any of channels even if the jurisdiction was miles away. Also I have my 197 in the same location that my Uniden was.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and I'm hoping to get better reception once my county goes digital!

Bucko

This is a common problem with GRE built radios, I have both and have the same selectivity problem. Pagers, NOAA transmitters and FM broadcast etc are some the common culprits to cause your problem if it is on high band, at least that is where my 197 has the problem. I did help it by putting a PAR notch filter in line to filter out the pager that was causing me fits but the local NOAA transmitter still gives me problems. Using the ATT should help on those freqs giving you problems but of course you will have reduced reception range using the ATT.

N1BHH

You may have to do any one or more of a combination of things. Change antenna location, change squelch setting, add attenuator to specific channels, move your radio away from computers, routers, TV's and microwave ovens. There are so many variables that you will have to play around with on your own to better understand where you are getting these little annoyances. Lot's of experimentation is needed, including getting a quality antenna outside, just getting one outside will improve your enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.