PRO-197 Trunking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonb

Premium Subscriber
I will apologize up front for being the newbie here and asking a question which has probably been answered many times over - I just can't seem to find it. I am using the ARC500 software and trying to program Stafford VA's P25 digital system. I have everything loaded into the scanner and can pickup little 'blurbs' of traffic but thats it. I have changed from stationary to roam, enabled audio boost, reprogrammed several times over - all w/ no luck. It's really disappointing b/c the main reason I invested in a digital scanner was to pickup Stafford (which is one county over from where I live). I REALLY appreciate any help / suggestions you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!!!

RomeRon

I will apologize up front for being the newbie here and asking a question which has probably been answered many times over - I just can't seem to find it. I am using the ARC500 software and trying to program Stafford VA's P25 digital system. I have everything loaded into the scanner and can pickup little 'blurbs' of traffic but thats it. I have changed from stationary to roam, enabled audio boost, reprogrammed several times over - all w/ no luck. It's really disappointing b/c the main reason I invested in a digital scanner was to pickup Stafford (which is one county over from where I live). I REALLY appreciate any help / suggestions you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!!!

What county are you in? How close are you to this repeater?

Site 101 Site Details (Stafford County)

brandonb

Premium Subscriber
I am well w/ in the red based on the graphic. The way the crow flies, I'm probably 10-12 miles max

RomeRon

I am well w/ in the red based on the graphic. The way the crow flies, I'm probably 10-12 miles max
Not saying you didn't program the scanner right, but if you want to try the file below, it won't hurt to try, Just remember to Save the file you already have, do, File, Save As, and name it so you don't lose what you already have.

Attachments

• Stafford.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 77

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
It might be the audio from the pro-197 as well.

I have mine programmed, all works good. But some the digital audio is junk. Cant really hear what is being said.

I heard its a pro-197 issue with the p25 system.

w2xq

Mentor
Can you hear the control channels? Tune to a talkgroup channel (MAN), then press F2 and then F3. Use the up/down arrows to step through the channels of the bandplan. If you don't hear/see at least one control channel's digital stream (open the squelch fully), then your problem is lack of signal. Press SCAN to return to normal scanning activity.

If you hear a digital stream, add a group Wildcard to the talkgroups. That will let you hear any talkgroups not in the RR db listing.

Hope that helps.

brandonb

Premium Subscriber
I updated the programming w/ the provided .Zip file and still no luck. I have very good signal strength and can hear all of the control channels; its almost like the scanner just isn't decoding the digital signal on its end. What exactly is a Wildcard and how do I go about programming one in?

RomeRon

I updated the programming w/ the provided .Zip file and still no luck. I have very good signal strength and can hear all of the control channels; its almost like the scanner just isn't decoding the digital signal on its end. What exactly is a Wildcard and how do I go about programming one in?

Try this zip file, I noticed in the other one it had left off some of the frequency at the end of the frequency.

Attachments

• Stafford.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
What exactly is a Wildcard and how do I go about programming one in?

It is a TSYS object that does not have any TGID attached to it. It is the default object type when adding a new object. See pages 34-37 of the -197 manual for the what and how-to. If you are using one of the programming software packages, adding a Wildcard to each of your Scan Lists is super-easy.

brandonb

Premium Subscriber
I've tried the re-program w/ the update .ZIP file as well as adding Wildcards - still no luck. Thanks to all for the replies - just very frustrated

AC9BX

I recommend always starting with a wildcard group when setting up a new truck system to insure you are getting reception. If you get nothing using wildcard something is wrong. You said you're hearing control channels. Did you select the correct mode for this system, P25 auto versus one of the others?

Are you getting some audio or nothing? Garbled audio may be an indication of encryption. I notice the Stafford sheriff dispatch and a few other groups are encrypted. You cannot decode any encrypted signal with a scanner. Encrypted signals sounds like chopped up speech and digital noises.

Try plugging in one of the voice channels in TUNE mode, on pause. You should hear something whenever that frequency becomes active. The radio ought to indicate it is P25 and display the NAC. If the signal is good and not encrypted you should hear the voice. Try attenuation. Too much signal can be a problem if the system has simulcasts, where the same frequency is used from different locations and you're able to receive both at the same time.

I use the Pro-197 on a P25 system here. I get quite good performance from one site, moderate performance from another.

JoeyC

Not sure if you have done this, but make sure multisite is OFF. You don't need it and having it set to stationary or roam is going to cause delays when picking up traffic trying to find other controls that don't exist.

SCPD

QRT
I am having the same issue, I will be trying attenuation since I'm listening to a simulcast system. Let you know how it works out

Status
Not open for further replies.