Pro 197 vs. Pro 652

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoxland

I just bought a pro 652 today and it looks exactly like a 197. Are there any difference's or is it just a 197 built by whistler?

n5ims

Stupid question,why wouldn't they add P25 Phase 2 to theses new models?

Simple answer, they'd have to do more than simply tool up to make the existing design, causing them to spend precious time on design, testing, certification, etc. so instead of 6 months or so prior to selling them, it would have been a year and a half or more.

cherubim

I'm curious to know whether the Pro-652 has similar sensitivity to the Pro-197. Some people claimed that the Pro-197 had better ears than the PSR-600 although I certainly didn't notice that when monitoring DTRS and conventional freqs. Firmware/DSP differences with the Pro-652 might give it an edge in some circumstances.

trp2525

I just bought a pro 652 today and it looks exactly like a 197. Are there any difference's or is it just a 197 built by whistler?

I compared the two owner's manuals and one difference that I noticed is that the discontinued PRO-197 came with 3 rubber feet while the new PRO-652 comes with 5 rubber feet!!!

Also the PRO-197 came with a Quick Start Guide and V-Scanner Preprogrammed Data. Neither of those items is listed in the "What's Included/Package Contents" section of the new PRO-652 owner's manual.

mainetrunk

Without going OFFBEAT here, cell phones took off in the past 3 or more years with all the goodies. See your home from work, Facebook, online scanning,,,list goes on for what this sandwich size peice of high tech can do.. The pro 197 is roughly 7 times the size of any cell phone... Point is, if the phones can do what they do at that size, the 197 has room for SOMETHING,,, Phase II, Trbo, Nexden, even HF. ( may require elarging for HF). Now adays, the police portables are smaller than the 106.. I just don't wanna buy a laptop to run DSP, then to buy Trbo or Nexden equipment / and programming software to program an entity for scanning. That's roughly $1,500.00 to get started, a scanner that does that is worth the $399.00, not before.. Come on tech's, give us what we want...

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Without going OFFBEAT here, cell phones took off in the past 3 or more years with all the goodies. See your home from work, Facebook, online scanning,,,list goes on for what this sandwich size peice of high tech can do.. The pro 197 is roughly 7 times the size of any cell phone... Point is, if the phones can do what they do at that size

Smart phones stream audio from the internet. You know where the audio comes from? Someone's Pro-197 scanner on someone's desk. You need to have a scanner at some point in the line. I have yet to see a cell phone has the capabilities of being a real scanner and not just an application that pulls audio being streamed from a real receiver.

Now adays, the police portables are smaller than the 106..

This is plain incorrect for a comparable digital radio. The Pro-106 (the one I have sitting on my desk) is exactly 6.5 inches from bottom to top of the volume knob (not including antenna), it is 1.6 inches deep (excluding the belt clip), and 2.5 inches wide.

The latest Motorola APX-7000 (information directly from Motorola, all excluding battery) is that it is 6.94 inches tall, 1.25 - 2.18 inches deep (bottom to top), and between 2.39 - 3.32 inches wide. That makes the Pro-106 a little shorter than the APX-7000, about the same in width, and about the same in depth. If you don't want to look at the APX-7000, we can look at some of the photos of people's shacks that include a Motorola XTS radio such as this one for example.

I just don't wanna buy a laptop to run DSP, then to buy Trbo or Nexden equipment / and programming software to program an entity for scanning. That's roughly $1,500.00 to get started, a scanner that does that is worth the $399.00, not before.. Come on tech's, give us what we want...

I'm assuming you already have a computer since you're making a forum post without one of the mobile application. SDR# and DSD+ are free and a SDR dongle is $10 dollars off eBay. I don't see where you're pulling the $1,500 unless you were talking about getting an actual radio.

As for scanner worth, Uniden and Whistler disagrees with you. I'd like to be proven wrong if you're an RF engineer and have somehow come up with a design for a wideband scanner that can decode the formats you are asking for. It would be a bonus if your design is super compact in the form of a smartphone size that supports all the formats and takes less than say...$350 to produce and ship so that it can be sold at $400. I'm sure Uniden or Whistler (or even some big name radio manufacturer) would love to pay you a very large sum of money for your work.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious to know whether the Pro-652 has similar sensitivity to the Pro-197. Some people claimed that the Pro-197 had better ears than the PSR-600 although I certainly didn't notice that when monitoring DTRS and conventional freqs. Firmware/DSP differences with the Pro-652 might give it an edge in some circumstances.

I've owned both the 197 and the 600 and as far as I could tell first-hand or from research, they share identical guts...no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.