Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
Ok the agency I work for dumps a program into all the 197's they put in our patrol cars. Ive had two seperate scanners reset back to factory settings and need to be reprogrammed. Does anyone think this could be some bug or computer virus in the programming theyre putting in these scanners? A friend of mine bought a 197 and ask me to program it for him. Id like to just bring it into the radio shop and have them dump their program into it so he could monitor our 800 p25 system. Anybody think that would be a bad idea? I hate to corrupt his scanner but it would just be easier to have that program dumped into his personal scanner. Thanks for the input.

mciupa

Is the khp in your user name for Kansas Highway Patrol, is that the agency you work for?

I don't think they would be using programs laden with viruses. You should be able to just enter the control channels (red) ones from the database and they should be good to go.

DickH

... Id like to just bring it into the radio shop and have them dump their program into it so he could monitor our 800 p25 system. Anybody think that would be a bad idea? ...

That's a great idea. It would be like trying to put a Detroit diesel truck engine into a VW bug. Totally impossible. If you want to see the radio shop guys break out into roaring laughter, take the scanner in there and tell them what you want. :)

Highpockets

That's a great idea. It would be like trying to put a Detroit diesel truck engine into a VW bug. Totally impossible. If you want to see the radio shop guys break out into roaring laughter, take the scanner in there and tell them what you want. :)

I think you should read his post again, it looks like they program scanners to put in the cars along with the department radios, it looks like he wanted them to load the same thing into the scanners they program for the departments cars. That's the way I see it. :)

sjlamb

I think you should read his post again, it looks like they program scanners to put in the cars along with the department radios, it looks like he wanted them to load the same thing into the scanners they program for the departments cars. That's the way I see it. :)

Zactly.... Seemed pretty clear to me too:

the agency I work for dumps a program into all the 197's they put in our patrol cars.

DickH

Ooops. As soon as I saw "radio shop" I thought of ours. Strictly regular Motorola stuff. Most of the techs here don't know anything about scanners, let alone program them. :)

hoser147

You could do that, but is your friend going to be mobile as the patrol cars are, or is he wanting to monitor one area most of the time? If he is going to be monitoring from a stationary location it might be best to program it for the area he monitors and it would work much better for him. He could monitor your agency and the others around his home scanning area. Hope this helps........

poppafred

What you need to do is have the radio shop store their programming into a v-folder. Then if the scanner resets, simple to load the v-folder back into active memory.

The Pro-197 is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. I will bet the resets are coming after restarting the car with the scanner running. The Pro-197 doesn't like that at ALL.

Does your friend have a programming cable and a laptop? He could sit down in the front seat of your car (or stand beside an open window) and download the programming directly off your 197 into his laptop and then reload it into his own Pro-197 at his leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.