Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

I've been thinking about getting a digital scanner. The 197 is the only desktop I find on Shack's site. The local stores don't even handle digital scanners. It says in reviews it is very difficult to program. That would wash me out fast. I couldn't even program this analog Pro-433 without help from a guy by phone in another state!

Are they good and worth it?

Thanks-

bama9999

I have a Pro 106, which is the same radio in handheld form. Yes, they are good and I'd say they are worth it. However, you will thank yourself many times over if you'll also get the usb programming cable, a premium subscription here on RR, and download either PSRedit500 or Win500. Using the programming cable and software will GREATLY simplify programming this scanner. You can download the programming for Abilene straight from here at RR, with the premium subscription.

I love my Pro106, and it's my favorite of any scanner I've owned, and I've had several over the years.

scanaholic

Well, it is great, but to be honest, it's Greek to me, bama. Sorry. If I ever get one, I'll have to have someone who really knows this stuff to do it. It looks also like the computer would have to have some other additions to do it. Not sure, just looks complicated to an old dummy like me.

SCPD

QRT
I have a 197 and for sure you need something to program it or you will get grey hairs. I started with ARC 500 then went to win500. The win500 was a little easyer to use. Good scanner, you don't have to set the squelch on the trunking it does it al by itself. The manual sucks because it tell u how to enable all the things it comes with but it does not tell you how to disable. The stalker works great. It was a good buy. I also stream my scanner. I stream from Castle Rock , Douglas County with RR.

KN4QHZ

Pro 197 Rocks

Just recently purchase the RS - Pro 197 and for now I use Butel and Win500 to program unit. One has to remember the digital world is here to stay.

bama9999

Well, it is great, but to be honest, it's Greek to me, bama. Sorry. If I ever get one, I'll have to have someone who really knows this stuff to do it. It looks also like the computer would have to have some other additions to do it. Not sure, just looks complicated to an old dummy like me.

Win500 and PSRedit500 aren't that difficult to learn to use, and they do make the programming much easier. The following might help with your decision, as it'll tell you all kinds of info on the scanner, and hopefully make it more understandable for you.

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro-106 handheld and love it too. Yea, it took a little while to grasp the new "object orientated" jargan, but people get too caught up in the object thing. I don't care how much computer stuff you have you still need to learn to program the scanner manually. You never know when you might have to program something onthe fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.