Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

woebbers

Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time for reading this post. I bought a Pro-197 and was wondering is it normal to lose the first word of a conversation once the scanner locks onto a channel. To me it seems as though its muted before you get full volume. Any thoughts on this is appreciated

thanks

Sal

Redfire206

I have it happen all the time. Especially on my County Sheriff Freq, not sure what casues it but I assume it's normal since me and my uncle have the same problem...and you now.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I think that a lot of folks have this problem. It's happening in my area also. There are so many settings in the radio that maybe someone can locate the correct one to solve the problem wor everyone!

DonS

If it's an analog voice channel on a Motorola (not P25) trunked system, or if it's a conventional channel that isn't set to "CTCSS" or "DCS", it's normal. The scanner is "waiting for possible digital", where the default wait time is 600ms.

You can change the default wait time via the scanner's PGM FUNC GLOB menu, under the item "DG Int Prime". I have mine set to 30 (300ms).

EDIT: Some caveats when changing the value from the default:
  • The likelihood of "digital motorboating" increases as you decrease "DG Int Prime". If you're not monitoring any P25 digital voice on Mot3600 systems, this isn't a problem.
  • The chance of missing the start of analog voice increases as you increase "DG Int Prime".
  • You can mitigate the effects of the above by a) programming any always-analog CONV objects in CTCSS or DCS mode and b) programming any always-digital CONV objects in NAC mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.