Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1jop10

Hi I am primarily a bearcat user and used to that format, I got the Pro197 to try something different I wish I did not. I am in CT and want to listen to the CSP but this radio is in an entirly different format then what I am used to, I am having great difficulty programing it even when useing the poorly written manual.

I know how to set up freqs and all of that the part that is giveing me the biggest issue is programing the ID's the two ID's I have been useing are 3216 and 3248 but I am not entering them right, I remove"wildcard" and put in 3216 in its place..........and I get nothing

could someone walk me throu APCO25 programming please?

jfhtm350

N8IAA

Nope. Needs to be P-25 Auto. Make sure you have the correct site programmed in. Let us know what programming software you are using. Make sure you have the latest update of the software, and that the radio has the latest firmware updates too. Maybe ask in the CT state forum further down the forums page.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

Highpockets

Nope. Needs to be P-25 Auto. Make sure you have the correct site programmed in. Let us know what programming software you are using. Make sure you have the latest update of the software, and that the radio has the latest firmware updates too. Maybe ask in the CT state forum further down the forums page.
HTH,
Larry

:confused: You sure on P25 Auto!

AC9BX

I've found the object oriented scanners such as the Pro-197 more intuitive than the Bearcat. But I do understand the confusion some have using one when they've gotten accustomed to the other. Programming this radio manually is not difficult although it is more tedious than using software. If those talkgroups have changed or aren't active you won't hear anything. I would stick with Wildcard to get started. With wildcard you'll hear everything on the system. If you're still getting nothing you've done something wrong or this is incompatible with that scanner. I'm guessing this is MOT 800/900 but as others said it should be P25 Auto. This is an unusual system. It appears the idea is to make the system forward compatible with APCO25 so it uses the P25 digital voice over the Motorola type II trunking system. I don't have such a system here I could test with on my Pro-197. Choose a site for the county nearest you and plug in those frequencies into the TSYS. Leave TGRP at wildcard. You can add groups or edit them later. You could even try just putting some of those frequencies into TUNE mode and listen to be sure you can hear them. If you can hear them the display should tell you some information about the signals. Remember there are 2 places where wildcard appears, the group ID and the tag/name for that group.

Last edited:

ibagli

I know how to set up freqs and all of that the part that is giveing me the biggest issue is programing the ID's the two ID's I have been useing are 3216 and 3248 but I am not entering them right, I remove"wildcard" and put in 3216 in its place..........and I get nothing

Are you hearing activity on those talkgroups when you have a wildcard programmed? If so, have you tried pressing F3 while one of those talkgroups is active? The scanner will store the talkgroup as a new object if you do that.

Nope. Needs to be P-25 Auto.

If the database is correct, then the correct setting is MOT 800/900. The P25 voice on the talkgroups is irrelevant.

Last edited:

jfhtm350

There is no system nearby like that system for me to try out either. Im gonna say the difference between P25 setting and MOT 800/900 setting is gonna be the trunking tables it programs in for the system. If the trunking tables are incorrect, you will not hear anyone but you will probably see it changing frequencies.

This is what the RS Pro-197 manual says:
Choose MOT800/900 if the system is a Motorola 800 or 900 Mhz analog or digital trunked radio system that uses the 3600 baud control channel.

Use P25auto for most P25 systems that send channel table information over the system control channel.

Use P25manual for if it is neccessary to manually set the channel table information or if you wish to use the default 800mhz table data.

It looks like it was upgraded in 2010 to support full P25 in the future so it may be full P25 now. Some of the info was updated about 3 months ago so it could be different now. Like N8IAA says you probably need to ask someone in the Conneticut forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.