PRO-2005 leaky caps? ...and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Om_Audio

Hi there,
Love my 2005! I have shielded it, opened up 800MHz, added diode for speed, replaced the back light, and added 2 USB fans to keep the innards cool. In conjunction with my ST2 antenna on the roof this is a great setup.

I noticed there is some residue under some electrolytic caps and assume they leaked and this is not some sort of sealer/adhesive?

Pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1052...s/6071720062244761985?authkey=CJLIlKTpvumFuQE

Opinion/experience appreciated. Thanks!

Other goals for the 2005:
Improve audio (lots of cap replacements- makes me hesitate as many are tight/small)
Discriminator tap
Replace speaker (no idea what best replacement would be)
modify headphone jack to produce dual mono for stereo headphones
Grounded power cord?
Make a DC power cord

Regards,
Clifford

nanZor

Looks like old solder-flux on the board.

Still, I'd replace the caps while you are in there. If you look at today's replacements, they may be smaller than those oem's, so a tight fit may not be so tight after all.

Mod #1: Run only from external DC to keep interior heat from the transformer down, and be nicer to the old caps. Optionally remove it altogether if you need lightness for portability reasons.

k3cfc

Silent Key
That glue ( not flux ) causes corrosion and works it's self into the cap. remove the cap clean all of the glue off and replace the cap (s) with new ones. capacitors are the number one component to fail and take out other components. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure anytime in my book.

Read this article then decide for your self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

K3CFC

Last edited:

Om_Audio

Appreciate the advice. Will def work on it at some point.

That link is unrelated though in all fairness. (Though i do get the gist of "replacing suspect caps is a good idea") Luckily those particular caps were produced a decade after my PRO-2005. I repaired some Dell machines that had caps from that maker, what a nightmare it must have been for manufacturers!

Thanks,
C

That glue ( not flux ) causes corrosion and works it's self into the cap. remove the cap clean all of the glue off and replace the cap (s) with new ones. capacitors are the number one component to fail and take out other components. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure anytime in my book.

Read this article then decide for your self.

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K3CFC

kc2kth

Take a look at some of the capacitor related (video blog) posts over at EEVBlog on YouTube. I found those interesting as I do all of his posts there. Also I have some similar - but not quite as extensive - corrosion in my 2005. No leaking caps yet and it's working fine so far, but eventually I'll probably have to tackle that one. Have to get to the 40's or 50's Wards Airline console in the dining room first. Would like to hear that one play again someday.

Om_Audio

Thanks man, that blog looks fantastic! The console sounds interesting- share some info with me about that if you can. Love those old pieces. I just passed my Tech test this morning and have been getting to know my new FT-890 which is all dials and buttons- love it!!
C

Take a look at some of the capacitor related (video blog) posts over at EEVBlog on YouTube. I found those interesting as I do all of his posts there. Also I have some similar - but not quite as extensive - corrosion in my 2005. No leaking caps yet and it's working fine so far, but eventually I'll probably have to tackle that one. Have to get to the 40's or 50's Wards Airline console in the dining room first. Would like to hear that one play again someday.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
To save some trouble, what about a good quality outboard speaker to improve your audio and a stereo to mono 1/8" adaptor to produce the intended effect in the earphones?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
that corrosive adhesive becomes conductive like others have said. this was a real problem on audio equipment and electronics made in the 1980's through the early 1990s.

I've spent many hours removing parts with that crud on it and cleaning boards, but it often resolved many problems with intermittent operation, wonky logic control responses, etc.

There is nothing wrong with re-capping anything that is 20-25 years old. Most of the 2005's I've seen had good quality Japanese caps, but capacitor life can be affected by use and environment too. Something used in a car or stored in a non climate controlled storage (like an attic) may have dried up caps that are totally open.

Om_Audio

I run the PRO-2005 through my studio monitors but as a standalone unit would be nice to have better speaker and dual mono jack without additional parts etc. I use an adapter now but just 1 more part to lose/break and same w external speaker. I may end up with an FP-800 and might be able to use it for both my scanner and my FT-890.
Thanks for the suggestions-
C

To save some trouble, what about a good quality outboard speaker to improve your audio and a stereo to mono 1/8" adaptor to produce the intended effect in the earphones?

k3cfc

Silent Key
The audio ic is designed to run one speaker. putting more then one is stressing the audio output. why don't you put a good communication speaker on it and be done with it. yes they are different then audio speakers. and as far as the capacitors why not avert problems and recap it. when caps short and they will they will take other parts with it. so with this i nothing else to add have a good day.

The end.

Om_Audio

Never said anything about adding a speaker. Replacing. Thanks for your input. Appreciated.
C

The audio ic is designed to run one speaker. putting more then one is stressing the audio output. why don't you put a good communication speaker on it and be done with it. yes they are different then audio speakers. and as far as the capacitors why not avert problems and recap it. when caps short and they will they will take other parts with it. so with this i nothing else to add have a good day.

The end.

Last edited:

kc2kth

Regarding sound quality and speakers, I have and highly recommend getting a Grove SP200 if you can find one. Sound quality of anything I plug into this is greatly improved. Yes it's external and takes up some space, but it looks great and is worth the space and price.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I run the PRO-2005 through my studio monitors but as a standalone unit would be nice to have better speaker and dual mono jack without additional parts etc. I use an adapter now but just 1 more part to lose/break and same w external speaker. I may end up with an FP-800 and might be able to use it for both my scanner and my FT-890.

Thanks for the suggestions-

C

Good points about the extra stuff being lost or breaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.