Pro-2006: Pro 2006 EL Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I picked up a small lot of 2006's very cheap. They're in great shape other than the backlights, so I want to replace them. I've done this in the past by ordering the EL Panels for a few dollars from China, but I haven't done it in years. It seems like the China sources have vanished. Does anyone know a source of inexpensive EL panels that can be trimmed to fit the 2006, preferably in the U.S?

Last edited:

JustLou

Thanks. I saw that seller selling Pro-2004 panels. I'll keep an eye on him.

wmbio

Backlights

I have a few 2004 backlights available, how many do you need? They will need cut down to size. PM me

Enjoy,
Wmbio

JustLou

I have a few 2004 backlights available, how many do you need? They will need cut down to size. PM me

Enjoy,
Wmbio

Thanks, but I emailed the seller recommended above, and he had a 2006 EL Panel for me. If I like the color and brightness, he has more.

Last edited:

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I purchased some from China in 2016 that had to be cut about 1" and works great and very blue and bright. Think I paid $6.00 for each and purchased 3 to keep as backups.

JustLou

I purchased some from China in 2016 that had to be cut about 1" and works great and very blue and bright. Think I paid $6.00 for each and purchased 3 to keep as backups.

It's ironic that the 2006 backlight I received is blue like the original 2004, and the backlight I replaced in my 2004 some time ago is green like the 2006. I prefer the blue but it's not a big deal.

Maybe someone can answer a technical question on EL panels. Will running it at the dim setting make it last longer than running it at the brightest setting? I would think so, but I always wondered if it actually mattered.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
It's ironic that the 2006 backlight I received is blue like the original 2004, and the backlight I replaced in my 2004 some time ago is green like the 2006. I prefer the blue but it's not a big deal.

Maybe someone can answer a technical question on EL panels. Will running it at the dim setting make it last longer than running it at the brightest setting? I would think so, but I always wondered if it actually mattered.

some 2006 models had the ON/OFF option for the light as some were ON/DIM

I keep mine off during the day as my room has plenty of sun light

JustLou

some 2006 models had the ON/OFF option for the light as some were ON/DIM

I keep mine off during the day as my room has plenty of sun light

Yes, I did the mod on my 2004 to make it on/off. My 2006's are early models which have the dimmer, but I haven't modded them. I never need the brightest setting so I just leave it on dim. I was just wondering if the dim setting extends the EL panel's life.

JustLou

Here's what the new blue backlight looks like. I just got around to installing it today.

ohoznIj.jpg

Ubbe

Not so easy to see the digits, maybe it is too bright? They say that blue is the least sensitive color for the eyes as that is the color of the sky and the human eye needs to be protected from it.

Yellow or orange seems to be the most suitable color in a display. We all remember the old computer and mainframe terminals that had the screens background yellow or orange (also green?) to make the text more readable.

/Ubbe

JustLou

Not so easy to see the digits, maybe it is too bright? They say that blue is the least sensitive color for the eyes as that is the color of the sky and the human eye needs to be protected from it.

Yellow or orange seems to be the most suitable color in a display. We all remember the old computer and mainframe terminals that had the screens background yellow or orange (also green?) to make the text more readable.

/Ubbe

Maybe it's the picture. It was taken in a bright room. I have no issue with the digits being hard to see.

wtp

about dim

since i bought my 2004 it has been on dim, and still works.
off would be nice as i don't even look at it anymore.
it is used everyday and is either on the 8tac channels of mil air stuff.

JustLou

since i bought my 2004 it has been on dim, and still works.
off would be nice as i don't even look at it anymore.
it is used everyday and is either on the 8tac channels of mil air stuff.

If you want "off", the mod isn't difficult.

The dimmer switch (SW702) is mounted to the LCD PC board (PC-4). Two resistors are mounted next to the dimmer switch, R702 (100 Ohms) and R703 (10 Ohms).

R703 is near the board edge and it controls the bright setting.

R702 controls the dim setting and if you remove it you will have two options - bright and off.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Justlou good job on the panel replacement, looks pretty much like mine at work. I use it there more then I would @ home to monitor D-Star, DMR, NXDN, ProVoice and let's not forget POCSAG connected to my 27" IMAC via iMic :D

JustLou

Justlou good job on the panel replacement, looks pretty much like mine at work. I use it there more then I would @ home to monitor D-Star, DMR, NXDN, ProVoice and let's not forget POCSAG connected to my 27" IMAC via iMic :D

That's funny. I do the opposite. I still get a lot of use out my 2004's and 2006's around here when I'm home. New York City PD and FD still uses mostly analog UHF frequencies, and I'm surrounded by 3 major airports which gives me a ton of air traffic to listen to. When I'm in my office in NJ, I listen to more digital stuff.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
That's funny. I do the opposite. I still get a lot of use out my 2004's and 2006's around here when I'm home. New York City PD and FD still uses mostly analog UHF frequencies, and I'm surrounded by 3 major airports which gives me a ton of air traffic to listen to. When I'm in my office in NJ, I listen to more digital stuff.

@ home I use a tapped BCT8 but prefer the 2006 at the office for looking more like a real Scanner haha.

JustLou

@ home I use a tapped BCT8 but prefer the 2006 at the office for looking more like a real Scanner haha.

I can't leave anything too valuable around my office because things tend to disappear. I keep a Pro-2053 on my desk at all times because I only paid a few $'s for it and it is a very good analog trunking scanner. I also bring one of my handhelds like the Pro-668 with me, but don't leave that one lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.