Pro-2006 power supply issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio Shack Pro-2006 still in excellent condition, but I now have an AC power hum, especially on AM channels. My guess is that a power supply capacitor failed after all these years. Has anyone else come upon this and, if so, have any ideas regarding which capacitor(s) or other components or circuits to look at?

Thanks, Gregg

Have_Teeth

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a Radio Shack Pro-2006 still in excellent condition, but I now have an AC power hum, especially on AM channels. My guess is that a power supply capacitor failed after all these years. Has anyone else come upon this and, if so, have any ideas regarding which capacitor(s) or other components or circuits to look at?

Thanks, Gregg

The 2006 is my favorite scanner. It's totally worth the time to fix it.

The most common failure in a PS is electroylitic capacitor failure.

If you're comfortable doing so, take the top off your 2006. Look for the big blue cap (do they come in any other color? LOL) right beside the transformer. If I recall, it's 2200uF at 24VDC? Look at the information on the wrapper...it'll say.

Now look on the circuit board around the cap. Is there a bunch of green jizz? No, that's not from the previous owner who had sexual relations with his goldfish, that's leaky capacitor syndrome. It's very dangerous and eats the board. You'll want to get that cap off the boad ASAP, clean the board, and replace the cap.

Pretty simple fix if you have even a moderate amount of experience. Check the other electroylitic caps on the board for leaking too.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
If you have access to an external 12-13.8 dc. supply, try running it off that and see if it works properly. If so, I would go that route instead of even bothering, to try to fix the internal supply as they are poorly constructed anyway. overall, your scanner will probably last much longer without all that heat the stock supply gives off inside your radio as heat is one of the worst enemies of electronic components. good luck!

kd6ecz

I read somewhere many years ago (I think it may have been in one of Bill Cheek's scanner mod books) that it's a good idea to use a DC power supply with that scanner anyway. I think the idea there was to avoid generating the excess heat that the power supply's trasnformer gives off (like crippledchicken mentions in the above post). I have been using a DC power supply on one of my two Pro-2006s for years now and it does stay a little cooler than the other one that I just plug directly into the wall.

K8TEK

Banned
If you have access to an external 12-13.8 dc. supply, try running it off that and see if it works properly. If so, I would go that route instead of even bothering, to try to fix the internal supply as they are poorly constructed anyway. overall, your scanner will probably last much longer without all that heat the stock supply gives off inside your radio as heat is one of the worst enemies of electronic components. good luck!
I would attempt to fix it. A leaking electrolytic capacitor will damage adjacent traces and could render your scanner useless.

MOTORHEAD3902

Conversations such as this make me glad to get on this website, as i just got a pro-2006 (all i can say is WOW! in side by side comparisons with my 2096 using the same antenna/coax, it grabs signals with clarity that the 2096 refuses to hear in any regard) and I had no idea about the internal power supply being a weak link.
Plugged it up to an outboard PS and am most impressed with the difference in heat transmitted through the cabinet. Anything i can do to keep this old gem running is money in the bank.
Now, if the P25 decode and trunking could be added on to the 2006, wouldn't THAT be a whole handful o' scanner to play with? :p

Now, if the P25 decode and trunking could be added on to the 2006, wouldn't THAT be a whole handful o' scanner to play with? :p

Maybe not decode and trunking, but I've found my 2006 with the discriminator mod makes a very valuable friend for monitoring P25 control channels with Unitrunker! :)

Have_Teeth

Banned
Discrminator mod to 2006 is by far the most useful...followed by the s-meter mod at a very close second place.

I prefer to use an RCA jack on the back to output the s-meter circuit to an analog meter. It works awesome. You can use this to test for losses in cable runs, aim directional antennas, RDF jerks on ham radio/FRS, detect differences between antennas, determine related radio frequencies when multiple smartzone towers are within your reception range (if trying to find a new site), etc.

I honestly think an automatic P25 decoder board and trunking would've been an option if the scanner was just a little more recent Someone would've come up with a third-party board, or at least some type of CPU upgrade.

Back in the day the 2006 was the king.

himelrick

my 2066 makes that same hum when powered by a wall plug,but does not make that humming noise when hooked to a vehicle power supply or when hooked to my 110 to 12 volt power supply

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
I wish I would have kept mine with all the mods I did to it. they have some of the best filtered Front Ends of about any scanner I've ever owned. My PS cap wasn't dried out from all the heat yet, when I got mine but, I put it on one of my home built PS units soon as I got it.

K8TEK

Banned
my 2066 makes that same hum when powered by a wall plug,but does not make that humming noise when hooked to a vehicle power supply or when hooked to my 110 to 12 volt power supply
When you hook it up to a wall wart? Try a different one. The one you have has a failing diode.

WR2M

Similar Problem

Thanks, Gregg

Hello Greg,
I was reading your thread about the ac hum in your scanners audio. I also have the RS PRO-2006 with the same problem. I was wondering if you ever pin pointed the problem.
Thanks in advance,
Bill Lupo, wr2m NW NJ
wr2m@verizon.net

Status
Not open for further replies.