Pro-2006 replacement antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd6ecz

I knocked one of my Pro-2006 scanners off the shelf over the weekend (thankfully onto a carpeted floor) and put a big kink in the built in antenna. I've done this once before so I know from experience that when I try to bend it back it'll more than likely snap off. I just called Radio Shack's 800 number and was told that the part is no longer available so can anyone here tell me where I might get a new one?

Thank you,
Todd

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Might wanna change over to one you can plug into the back with an L-shaped connector, I think RS still carries them. I used it for a good while.

kd6ecz

I guess I can do that. I was hoping to replace the one that was built into the thing but I guess that may be pretty hard to do now. I'll have take a look and see what's out there as far as BNC type antennas go.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I don't recall the connector on the 2006 being a BNC. Just an L connector that slides straight in and a telescoping mast (to about 30") that has a coil in it. If you primarily listen to certain bands you can "tune" the antenna by how long you pull up the mast. I'm not seeing it on RS's website at the moment.

n2mdk

There is a BNC on the back of the 2006, I used to use it with my Diamond Discone

kd6ecz

Both of my Pro-2006 scanners have BNC connectors on the back. I picked up a 90 degree BNC yesterday and I'm going to see if I can find my old RS telesoping whip that I bought many years ago and try those out for now.

I sent an email asking about this antenna to both GRE America and the parent compnay in Japan and received a very helpful response from Japan. An individual by the name of Nori Taniguchi forwarded my info on to Radio Shack and they contacted me via email with an RSU part number. They won't be available again until 6/9 but at least I can go into a local store and order one and have it shipped directly to my house once they get them in.

Now THAT'S awesome customer service! Maybe it's time to finally order that PSR-500 that I've been eyballing for months now.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
good stuff kd,
My 2006 is gone, I was trying to recall the connector but as you can see was incorrect.
You may want to cut and paste the customer service answer into this thread to benefit all of us. Thanx

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
kd6ecz said:
I knocked one of my Pro-2006 scanners off the shelf over the weekend (thankfully onto a carpeted floor) and put a big kink in the built in antenna. I've done this once before so I know from experience that when I try to bend it back it'll more than likely snap off. I just called Radio Shack's 800 number and was told that the part is no longer available so can anyone here tell me where I might get a new one?

Thank you,
Todd

The antenna is no longer in stock at Radio Shack Parts but you should be able to find a 3/16 SCREW IN BASE antenna online

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Did a quick google on:
"pro2006" AND "antenna"
Type it just as you see it with the punctuation (or cut/paste).
Anyway, here's the first hit and YES, there's your antenna for $8.95.

kd6ecz

I was able to order a replacement antenna at a local Radio Shack using the RSU number I was provided in this email:

Todd,

I apologize for you getting the run around on this issue. The antenna for the PRO-2006 Scanner is available but is currently on backorder. We do have an expected ETA of 6/9 but will push to receive them earlier. You can order through any RadioShack retail store using RSU Part # 10538270 and it will ship directly to your home as soon as they are received in our warehouse.

Thanks,
RSU Parts
I believe this antenna was only $5.95 so I ordered two of them. Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.