Pro 2006 Volume Knob Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerjunkie

My friend has a pro 2006 in excellent shape except for one thing. when you first turn it on and adjust the volume its got a lot of static when turning volume knob for the first few times but then it goes away after being on a few minutes. just curious if any other pro 2006 owners have had the same issue and whats the best way to fix it? any info would be great. thanks.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It's an easy fix!

Have no fear!
All that is happening is the volume pot has some dirt or dust in it. Very common thing with trim pots (potentiometers). All you have to do is buy a can of this stuff :
TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant - RadioShack.com
Attach the little red spray straw that comes with it to the nozzle, and spray it directly into the volume pot. You have to remove the knob of course. This is best done with the radio on so you can hear the problem go away as you spray. For best results, just move the volume pot between low and high volume constantly during your spraying to really work the liquid in well. Should not take more than 2 or 3 good squirts directly into the volume pot to get rid of the problem. Good Luck!

Manny

Last edited:

smason

To do this effectively it's better to spray into the pot from the opening by the 3 terminals, inside the radio.

That said, sometimes just operating the control quickly through its entire range several times will make the problem disappear.

Bill_White

I wouldn't know...
Mine has been on for 24 * 7 * 10....
Thats 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the past 10 years.
I take that back...
I shut it off a few minutes last month to change the backup battery.
I'm starting to think the 2006 is going to outlast me.
So, I guess another solution is, to just leave it on... :)

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
should one stand the radio up so that the back of the radio is down, or does it matter?
It really doesn't matter but you could try it.

To do this effectively it's better to spray into the pot from the opening by the 3 terminals, inside the radio.
That said, sometimes just operating the control quickly through its entire range several times will make the problem disappear.
I didnt think of this but yes, if doing it the way I suggested does not work, then by all means, take off the bottom cover and hit the volume pot from the inside. While you are at it, hit the squelch pot too.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.