PRO 2006: What is This? (look @ pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a PRO 2006. When I opened it up to do the cell mod, I saw this inside. I do not remember that circuit board in the bottom right corner of the scanner being something orignal. It appears one of the leads is connected to where one would attach a discriminator tap. Can someone shed some light to me about what that is. Thanks!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hmmm.. in that case it must be one of many mods Bill Cheek conjured up for these radios. Try googling "Bill Cheek PRO 2006" and look around. Could be additional memory, a digital squelch mod, who knows...

Does this scanner do stuff a stock PRO-2006 won't? If so then, there's your answer.
-AZ

DaveH

I bet they are NE567's and it's a 2-tone decoder, possibly a single DTMF tone
to enable the audio. Notice the trimpots to adjust each frequency. That's my
guess without enhancing the image to read the markings on the IC's :)

Not likely to be a 2-tone sequential decoder due to lack of other logic on
the board.

Wait a sec, just noticed the frequencies marked on the shield cover.
That makes it look like baud rates, possibly for a serial interface.

Dave

Last edited:

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Well, someone wrote 2400 & 4800 in marker with arrows pointing to the respective IC's. The IC's both say "ECG832-P312 8912"

STiMULi

Check to see if the wiring goes to the speaker output on the back or the headset on the front Since you cant find any other connectors.

fineshot1

Program into the 2006 a 2 meter ham simplex freq and take an HT on low power setting or dummy load and go through the TT Pad keys until you get the decoder to open up the receiver. If it was working properly before you aquired it and it is setup for a single TT key that should work....

EDIT: You may have to hold down each key for a minimum amount of time before the decoder opens up the receiver.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I programmed a simplex freq (144.030) and went down the pad with each tone. I did a solid 2-3 seconds per tone once, then did two tones, and nothing on the 2006. It just acted like a normal scanner.

drouse3

Is the tone programed in the scanner. It will work only work if the tones are programed in the scanner. My friend had one in his scanner and it would only work if the scanner was looking for the tone(no tone scan like the pr0-96). I hope this will help you since it looks like you are using your two meter radio to check it out and can set up your own tones.

KC2GVX said:
I programmed a simplex freq (144.030) and went down the pad with each tone. I did a solid 2-3 seconds per tone once, then did two tones, and nothing on the 2006. It just acted like a normal scanner.

fineshot1

drouse3 said:
Is the tone programed in the scanner. It will work only work if the tones are programed in the scanner. My friend had one in his scanner and it would only work if the scanner was looking for the tone(no tone scan like the pr0-96). I hope this will help you since it looks like you are using your two meter radio to check it out and can set up your own tones.

There is no way to program tones into a Pro2006 scanner. Thats the reason for installing an after market tone decoder board. This scanner was pre-tone programmable era scanners.

drouse3

If this tone decoder works the way you say it does, Then he needs to figure out how to enable it. I can see in the picture it has power hook up to it, but I can not tell if any of the wires it goes to any front pannel bottons.

The one my friend had in his scanner made you put the tone in by using the key pad, just like putting in a new freq. Scanners unlimited installed it for him back in 1989.

fineshot1 said:
There is no way to program tones into a Pro2006 scanner. Thats the reason for installing an after market tone decoder board. This scanner was pre-tone programmable era scanners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.