Pro-2011 Antenna Connector for Telescopic Whip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I just recently found a great working Realistic Pro-2011 for $5.

It was missing the normal included telescopic whip antenna but I knew I could use a BNC to Motorola adapter and/or my few Motorola whips.

What is the connector used for the whip? It looks different than my other older units.

The manual provides no information as to the name of the connector.

DJ11DLN

That model looks a lot like my old retired Pro-2023 and specs are very similar. Mine lacks the screw-in port in the top for the OEM telescopic, just uses a Motorola on the back panel, it came with a telescopic with an integrated plug bent 90* with a plastic sleeve to make it fit tightly. The scanner had a couple of protrusions molded onto the case to keep the antenna vertical (and I actually still have that whip, LOL). I'm not sure why yours would be different, but if you have a Uniden-type telescopic, it might be one that unscrews from the swivel joint, and it might thread into the OEM port on the top. Could be worth a try. Could you post a pic of your scanner's rear antenna jack? That would be a huge help in trying to identify what you have, which I think is likely an aftermarket modification someone has added. I never heard of a scanner that used anything except Motorola or BNC, until certain Uniden models started using SMA a few years ago.

EDIT: According to this thread, it should indeed be a Motorola jack, so now I strongly suspect someone has modified it.https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/28705-realistic-pro-2011-antenna.html

Last edited:

ChrisABQ

I have the Pro 2011 with the original telescopic antenna, still works like new. It does have a Motorola port to use the Motorola to BNC adapter. I ordered a couple of SDR dongles off Amazon (with the antennas included) and the short ones fit perfectly.

RedPenguin

Yes I know the back is Motorola, I was just trying to figure out what type screwed in on top. It appears to be some strange connector when I look in.

Also I noticed the manual says it has 12.5KHZ steps for 453.xxx and other scanners around the same time frame even mention NFM.

What's odd is, this scanner doesn't seem to pick up adjacent channel interference like even my Uniden BR330T picks up. Must have good filtering.

It seems like a toss up here on which scanner will be bothered by adjacent 12.5KHZ channels even when the radios are rated for NFM.

DJ11DLN

Yes I know the back is Motorola, I was just trying to figure out what type screwed in on top. It appears to be some strange connector when I look in.

Also I noticed the manual says it has 12.5KHZ steps for 453.xxx and other scanners around the same time frame even mention NFM.

What's odd is, this scanner doesn't seem to pick up adjacent channel interference like even my Uniden BR330T picks up. Must have good filtering.

It seems like a toss up here on which scanner will be bothered by adjacent 12.5KHZ channels even when the radios are rated for NFM.
OK, got it. The top isn't really a connector, it's just a female socket threaded to take a male threaded stud on the bottom of the OEM telescopic antenna. As stated above, a Uniden BNC telescopic may unthread from the articulation joint and the threads may be the same. This type of setup -- telescopic with threaded stud on the base screwed in through a hole in the case for stand-alone use, with a Motorola on the back to accommodate an external antenna -- goes back at least to the old Electra Bearcat 3/4, which Uniden inherited when they bought out Electra.

Plugging any sort of antenna into the M connector on the back will work just fine within the scanner's limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.